I will be sitting water where I believe a big guy might come in. My worst shot will be about 60. Although I practice out to 70 I would prefer 40 or less. I have a river bottom buck as seen in cabelas and am tempted to put in out at the waters edge. What does every thing about this tatic on coues. Thanks for any info Justin

Hey gotcoues, I also will be trying a decoy this year. I got the carry-lite. It has removable antlers so I can use it as a doe. From everything I've read, decoys can really bring them in close. I plan to experiment with the buck or doe. I have scent to use(tarsal gland when I use the buck, estrous when I use the doe.) The bucks are really territorial in the pre-rut and will challenge the decoy. Try a grunt or doe bleat to get their attention. Good luck and know us how they work. I will do the same.

I'm going to see if Sprortmans has some scents. The scents might also draw him in even if he didn't plan on watering. Can't wait to see the deer react to my dummy. Good luck on your hunt and I will definately keep posting about my findings.

great question... I also have one.. But I don't know if I am going to use it... I figure if they are around water they are comming in to drink... right... so don't push it and just let them come in naturally..... right???

j-

Well so far I don't have any findings. No bucks have come in while the decoy was in place. Several different does came in, looked at it and really nothing else. They drank water and left. They did seem to be a little uneasy, but this is my first experience at water with a stand. I'm not sure what to expect anyway. The rut looks like it is just beginning and I will try the decoy again the next couple weekends.

I don't know about a decoy but last week I called in a small coues with a Primos call in a can to about 75yds. All of the other deer seem to be interestd but nothing coming in like the little coues.