Sign in to follow this  
desertdog

Deer bones

This is something my family has been doing for ages. We have always done all our own butchering. And for anyone that has processed their own game meat can attest to there is always meat that you cant get off all the bones. So what we have always done is cut the bones down so they can fit in a pressure cooker. We have a few pressure cookers in different sizes. Usually with a Coues we can fit all the bones in a large cooker. Then fill it about half way full with water and pressure cook it for around 45 minutes.

Once its done let the bones cool for a few minuets and then you can just pull all that meat right off the bones. We have always been as careful as we can to get as much fat and connective tissue from the meat as you can. What you are left with is the best shredded venison one could ask for.

From there the possibilities are endless. You can add barbecue sauce for barbecue sandwiches. Or our favorite is it makes the best burrito/tamale/taco meat. Just add in the seasonings and or chilies you would like and your set. The best part is it is already cooked so it makes for a quick fix meal that you can go in any direction with.

Wow!

That sounds like a great way to really not let anything go to waste.

I've contemplating roasting some bones then making a venison brown stock with them.

Then taking the stock and preparing a sauce to go with grilled/roasted/pan-seared venison.

The only thing that has kept me from trying this is the mere thought of chronic wasting disease.

As I would be breaking down bones with marrow etc.

Good idea I had always just used a thin sort filet knife to try and get as much meat as I could off the bones Your method sounds much better