Sign in to follow this  
c-ne-elk

Bringing back Coues Skulls????

We hunted in Mexico last year and had no problem bringing back our capes, our outfitter had all the required paperwork and knew the system so it went off without a hitch. We are going back again this year and if I am lucky enough to get another buck was thinking about doing an European mount. I am sure our outfitter knows but I am anal enough to like to know for myself, I have seen outfitters make mistakes before.

My question/statement is I would assume you have to get all the meat off the skull in order to bring it back in? Having frozen for 24 hours like capes would not be enough or is that enough to get through USFW?

Anyone have RECENT experience in bringing a properly tagged Coues skull back?

We hunted in Mexico last year and had no problem bringing back our capes, our outfitter had all the required paperwork and knew the system so it went off without a hitch. We are going back again this year and if I am lucky enough to get another buck was thinking about doing an European mount. I am sure our outfitter knows but I am anal enough to like to know for myself, I have seen outfitters make mistakes before.

My question/statement is I would assume you have to get all the meat off the skull in order to bring it back in? Having frozen for 24 hours like capes would not be enough or is that enough to get through USFW?

We bring all of the trophy's back as skulls. They need to be clean! Our cook does a beautiful job.

Jim

We bring all of the trophy's back as skulls. They need to be clean! Our cook does a beautiful job.

Jim

post-1222-0-08013700-1305990357_thumb.jpg

Yes your deer skull(s) need to be clean or free of hair and meat just like Jim is telling you. No need to freeze the skull.

Why did you only brought the capes back last year and not the skulls?

Good luck in Mexico this year again....did you showed us pictures of your Mexico buck? Thanks and take care.

Ernesto C

We brought out the capes and the antlers attached to the skull cap since we were doing shoulder mounts, was no need to bring the entire skull out for that.

Yes, posted photo's and a short story on the hunt on Feb 2nd called "2011 Mexico Coues Hunt". Was our 1st Mexico Coues hunt, had so much fun we are going back again!

Thanks for the information on the skulls. I figured that they should be totaly clean. Like I said before, I will probably do that this year.

DANG NICE DEER! And that's some clean skulls! I figured this would be the case as our outfitter cleaned the skull caps of our deer so clean you could have eaten off them.

THANKS for the information!