Coach

Finally made it to the Black River

It does look like a great time. I have looked at this post a couple times. I havent been to the Black in a couple years. Kinda kickin myself, especially with the fire.

What do folks think the Wallow fire impact will be though?

I'm thinking that once the summer rain starts, that the Black might be in for a muddy, ash filled summer! :( Hopefully the fish can stay tough and ride it out.

S.

:)

I think it will take a long time for it to get back to where it is now. Ask any flyfishermen about Canyon Creen and the R/C fire. The ENTIRE, or pretty close to all of the burned up land for the Wallow fire is water shed to the Black. It sounds like a little is on the Blue though. All the summer monsoons, winter snow pack, spring melt are going to hurt the Black. Im curious to know how far down stream the trouble will go. Black, Salt, I know it is a long way to Roosevelt, but what do you think could happen?

Can't believe I missed this post. Looks like you had an awesome time Jason. Great pics. Been a long time since I've been down there. Hopefully the fish survive the ash filled runoff.

Again, great pics and story!

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I'm kind of curious to see how the ash will affect the river too. There was a canyon I hiked in Utah a couple summers ago and it had a lot of these "quick-sand" kind of holes that were just ash-mud you could stick your arms or legs way down into, and the fire responsible was nothing compared to this. I sure hope the Black cleans itself up better than that.

On a positive note, just think of where the water line gets to on a heavy-runoff year. I've seen the White River bridge on the Amos Wash road covered with driftwood before. That's enough water to flush a lot of ash down.

we went to black river crosing last week lots of fish but not that kind of quality.where were you at on the river

LOL, I'm sure your dad has taught you all about keeping secret spots, well... secret. PM me, with dad's approval, and we can swap fishin' holes, etc. BTW, that Turkey vid your dad posted from this Spring was in one of my favorite spots. Both of my oldest boys killed their first birds right there. My youngest is just about ready to take his hunter's ed course and with any luck, he'll take his first "big game" on that ridge.