Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

F/V Erik goes down off San Felipe

gotta dig out the old 35mm photos of a trip on the Erik with my group of LA brake and tire guys-also on July 4 week!-in 1992. the three boats that do the midriff trips-Erik, Jose Andres and Capt Villegas-always had a reputation for being top heavy with skiffs, outboards, fuel, gear and sunshades. and add fat white guys and chests full of beer.

sounds like a monsoon thunderboomer capsized her, killed one fisherman with 7 or 8 still missing and left them all in the water for like 20 hours. so much for EPIRB technology south of the border. the first the mexican navy heard of it was a phone call from a fisherman brought back to shore after rescue by panga fisherman.

i only did it once. too hot to sleep and after 5 days we ran out of beer, soda, ice and patience.

lee

ps caught like a hundred yellowtail and grouper but the heat at night is what i remember most.

I made the trip in 2008, was lots of fun. MY cusin and i caught over 40 yellow tail in one morning. They must have fix the ac's in the rooms since you went, the sleeping quarter were ice cold. With the rocking of the boat, the blacked out rooms cold rooms and lots of beer in me I dont think i have ever slept better. Infact with the boat going down at 2:30 im suprized more people didn't go down in the belly of the beast.

I did that trip in 2005. The guides thought we were nuts fishing with fly rods and not keeping every fish we caught. ac in the rooms was ice cold and slept like a log. I remember thinking that the ship felt top heavy when we were on the top deck eating and drinking in the evenings-guess I was right. Hope they find the rest of the fishermen and that they are safe and sound.