Sign in to follow this  
flyphsr

trick tanks

I was wondering who services them and why they dont fix them when they are not working. I have located two in the area I would like to hunt but both are not working and the suply tanks are full and where the valves are is locked. Even if it was unlocked the floats are broke and the tanks are in bad shape. Just thought since they were there would be nice if they worked.

Most are installed maitained by the rancher that has the lease. If they do not have cattle in that area they dont wast time or money fixing them.

I was wondering who services them and why they dont fix them when they are not working. I have located two in the area I would like to hunt but both are not working and the suply tanks are full and where the valves are is locked. Even if it was unlocked the floats are broke and the tanks are in bad shape. Just thought since they were there would be nice if they worked.

It generally depends on who owns the tank. Most tanks are either owned by the AZGFD or the federal land management agency (forest, BLM, etc). Most ranhers that own trick tanks keep them in working order as a general rule. The vasy majority of AZGFD trick tanks are kept in working order and are visited throughout the year once or twice in the wetter areas, Pinetop region, much more in the drier areas, Tucson and Yuma regions. Some tanks are maintained or filled weekly during the driest times. Tank maintenance is an enormous undertaking. That said if you find a tank that is not in operational order, make a couple of notes on the condition, get a GPS point in NAD 83 Datum and give that information to the local AZGFD office, Yuma, Mesa, Tucson, Kingman, Pinetop, Flagstaff.