galiuro mountain man

Peloncillo Wilderness

I was just wondering if anyone hunts coues here. I am looking for info on area! Ive hunted all the mountains north of it, on the lazy B ranch, but never went to the wilderness. I am looking for easiest routes to the wilderness boundaries. Where there is water. Where the bighorns and deer are. The reason is lion hunting. I will be in this area looking for lions. Any info is apreciated. If anyone has seen lion sign, tracks, scrapes, kills, or scat, there in the last month or so, you could let me know. If I get into lions, it will be good for the hunters, and ranchers. I will be chasing lions till the middle of march, and next month I will hit the Galiuros. (I know this area well, I could trade info)

Oh, I did find a very fresh lion kill yesterday just north of the wilderness there. It was a calf that the coyotes had chased the lion off of, when we chased the coyotes off, it wasnt stiff yet and had barely been eaten on, and wasnt all the way cold yet. I know it was a lion, typical lion kill, broken neck, no lascerations on legs (coyotes attack legs),and fur was plucked from belly area, also typical of lions. I also know it was a young lion, I saw its tracks.

Good luck everyone

GMM

Do you have hounds that you use. If you do what breed are they. I love hunting mountain lion. have killed two while hunting coues deer. My friend has a good pack of hounds that we use when i have clients for mountain lions. His dogs have been under at least a hundred lions. We treed three lions on one saturday just for new pup training. sorry to take up to much of your time. I dont know enough about the area you are looking at. I like talking about lions about as much as coues. I do know it is important to hunt them they kill at least one deer a week. the last lion we got we saw it take down a couse doe. We have an awsome picture of it with use the lion and the doe down in the bottom of a deep canyon.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

ARIZONA GUIDE,

Can you email me a photo? I would like to see it.

I am using an electronic caller and decoy. So far it has worked really well on yotes, called 1 in a couple of minutes, I just let it go. I was focusing on cats. I almost shot it when I thought it was going to take off with my decoy, but he smelt me and my partner when he was a few feet from the decoy.

Then we called over the kill and 2 other yotes came out of the trees right above it and were very confused by it. They thought the calf had come back to life! Then we got them, we had already decided to go around to the other side of the mountain.

Then the wind picked up and blew so hard that sometimes we couldnt even hear the caller, and we were 50 yards from it. We decided then to call it a day.

All the predators are getting bad. I have seen more yotes than ever before and the ranchers are having a tough time with it. Some even have a bounty for them.

Anyways, thanks for responding, I just hope to get some info soon.

Good luck everyone

GMM

Galiuro mountain man

I will get you a pic as soon as i get my scaner up and running again. It is a cool picture to with the deer and lion in the same photo. I was not the one to shoot this lion my friend had the tag. we were scouting for our coues hunt and I told him to bring his lazeroni rifle with him that i had seen a few lions in this canyon on a few diferent trips. we finnaly got back there on the quads and he said he didnt want to pack the rifle up on the ridge and i said you better. He took it and as soon as we crossed over the top we heard the lion scream. Deer went all over the place. We looked at each other in awe and at the same time said mountainlion. So we sat down and could hear the cat draging the deer just down below us but could not see it. when we saw it it was down in the bottom rolling around on top of the dead doe. it then grabed the doe by the neck and leaped about ten feet up on a ledge, and that was not the right thing for that cat to do. My friend then took the shot. we headed of down there video camra running and 357 pistol and rifle in hand. when we got down there the lion was not there anymore so then we got a little uneasy. i turnd and there he was just behind us DEAD thank goodness. The one i killed while hunting coues was in highscool just a canyon away from that one. I do know that we are full of lion in this state. I know of 5 lions beeing taken in this area the last 2 years. you wouldnt belive the deer in there now. That is why i buy a lion tag and bear tag every year.

galiuro mountainman

I sent you back an email i hope it went through.