Sign in to follow this  
WadeNAZ

Unit23 Mule Deer

lets see how do others do it.. OK yeah...

First, the sob-story

I finally got drawn, second choice so happy none the less but have not been able to spend the time afield I had hoped and I have not hunted the in Unit 23 in over 20 years. I missed the entire bow season and dove hunts due to a nasty upper respritory infection that I am just now barely getting over. I have gotten out for a couple day trips but have been unable for the last month+ to hike/walk for any distance without horendous coughing fits which we all know results in seeing nada.

And then, the humble plea:

I am now starting to get back to 100% and am trying to make up for lost time. with a JR hunt and Coues hunt before mine I plan on making several trips up before and between hunts to do some real scouting. What I am looking for is someone who is familiar with the unit that I can bounce ideas off of as I already have some areas I am starting to narrow in on that I think warrant more time scouting. Just need to optimize my time and efforts. If you are familiar with the unit and don't mind providing a little feedback let me know and I will send you a PM.

Can't forget the Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to look and if you can help a fellow hunter out it is truly much appreciated.

ewww glad that is done. I hate asking but a man has to to do...

From the Game & Fish website:

Mule Deer

Areas: Mule deer numbers in Unit 23 are at currently at low levels compared to long term averages. The past several years’ drought is primarily responsible for this condition, but recent normal range precipitation seem to be helping the mule deer in 23 bounce back. Mule deer inhabit virtually all habitat types in the unit. The southern and lower elevation areas provide mule deer hunting along the A-Cross road (Forest Road 60) and the Cherry Creek road (Forest Road 203). The northern and higher elevation areas north of Young to scout are the Naegelin Rim/Canyon area and the Valentine Ridge/Canyon area. Portions of Unit 23 in the Canyon Creek area were burned in the Rodeo-Chediski Fire and will have an impact on mule deer populations there.

Access: Access is widely available via State Routes 260 and 288 and the complex of Forest Service roads. Some Forest service road closures in the northern part of the Unit exist during December through March to protect roads from damage during snow and rain. Check with the Tonto National Forest during these times. Be aware that if accessing Unit 23 by crossing Tonto Creek in Tonto Basin, that Tonto Creek is subject to temporary flooding and isolating travelers. The same warning holds true for crossing Cherry, Coon, and Salome Creeks. Smaller side drainages can also block travel for extended periods. The early archery hunt will generally have hot, summer-like temperatures with moderate to cool nights. Late archery hunters can see rain, snow, or clear/cold weather.

Tips: As with most big game hunting, peak mule deer activity periods are early morning and late evening. Be in your hunting area during these times. Hunters who get out and work the areas on foot are usually more successful than those hunters who stay close to roads. Utilize your binoculars and cover hillsides carefully before moving on.

Nice way to web hunt....blah blah blah...honeyholes....dont steal my cameras...get out there and hike... :D :P :D