Sign in to follow this  
donniedent

Wind Farms in unit 10

So I was thinking about all those stupid wind generators they are gonna be putting up in 10 and came across this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Also read and artical that describes fires and that these things malfunction and cause fires. http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/29/opinion/forest-fires-and-wind-turbines-the-danger-no-one-is-talking-about/

Here's my take. Obama is outta there in 2012. We're gonna get a fiscal conservative in there and I can promise they are gonna ramp up domestic energy production and probably open the floodgates for coal, oil and gas. What happens with these dumb turbines then? 1 turbine only produces enough energy to cover the carbon footprint of 1 family. And how many of us are going to have to look at these stupid things. And... whats the risk gonna be in Arizona of forest fires if one of these things catches fire?

I don't know, doesn't seem even remotely close to worth it!

***EDIT***

Little side note for you. They are going to be treated as occuopied buildings. That means no discharge of a firearm within a 1/4 mile.

So I was thinking about all those stupid wind generators they are gonna be putting up in 10 and came across this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Also read and artical that describes fires and that these things malfunction and cause fires. http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/29/opinion/forest-fires-and-wind-turbines-the-danger-no-one-is-talking-about/

Here's my take. Obama is outta there in 2012. We're gonna get a fiscal conservative in there and I can promise they are gonna ramp up domestic energy production and probably open the floodgates for coal, oil and gas. What happens with these dumb turbines then? 1 turbine only produces enough energy to cover the carbon footprint of 1 family. And how many of us are going to have to look at these stupid things. And... whats the risk gonna be in Arizona of forest fires if one of these things catches fire?

I don't know, doesn't seem even remotely close to worth it!

***EDIT***

Little side note for you. They are going to be treated as occuopied buildings. That means no discharge of a firearm within a 1/4 mile.

Curious where you heard they would be considered occupied buildings?

I am torn by this issue. I agree they are not aesthetically appealing but far better looking than oil rigs, refineries, or coal mining operations. I don't think they will be abandoned once built. Once you make such a huge investment why wouldn't you keep collecting the cheap electricity from it, even if there were an abundance of fossil fuels. Cheap abundant oil would certainly stop or slow the expanded construction of these things, but I don't believe we will ever see that happen.

And when the company goes belly up like this solar company in Flordia did AFTER getting a $500M loan backed by our tax dollars, who will be responsible for tearing down the windfarm and removing it from public land?

your tax dollars at work. look at how tall they are. take a good look. go walk up to one and check it out. range it. how tall a crane will it take to work on one? what kinda lift capacity is it gonna need? i mean to do real work when one breaks down? these are very high maintenance rigs. the outboard bearing goes out a lot and the prop falls into the pedestal. they are very hard to synchronize with the grid. the U.S. is all 60 cycle power. that means the generator makes a spark 60 times a second, or 3600 rpm. these things have to put out 60 cycles or they won't work with the rest of the system. wind doesn't blow very constant. the propellor doesn't have to spin 3600 rpm because they have a gear increase in the head. when the wind blows too hard, a brake has to keep the generator spinning at the right rpm. sometimes you can take a generator and put extra posts in it and run 1800 rpm. these may be that way, but whatever the case, if they can't deliver 60 cycles you can't put them in the grid. anyway, the brakes heat up and catch fire, when the wind doesn't blow hard enough, you get no power, and you get very little power period, even from a giant farm. look at it as about one household for a windmill. these outfits build these farms and get gigantic gov't money to do it and pretty much walk away from them. when they breakdown, they just sit there. it's a great concept, but no one has done enough engineering yet to make windmills that are true power producers. they are a lot like the "free" solar water heaters that were so popular 25 years ago. you see any o' them around anymore? i drove past a gigantic farm in sw kansas awhile back. almost all of em were broke down. if they ever get serious about making windmills that will hold up and really make some power, they might be a good thing. but all these are is more gov't feel good welfare. somebody is gonna make a buncha money off it. and we get to foot the bill and suffer the true consequences. Lark.

And when the company goes belly up like this solar company in Flordia did AFTER getting a $500M loan backed by our tax dollars, who will be responsible for tearing down the windfarm and removing it from public land?

Great to see someone else is paying attention!!!!!