Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

sausage mix from scratch

Is there anybody thats making sausage mix from scratch? I've got a couple ideas and just wanted to know some of the basics. I'd like to try something with green chilles and carmelized onions, both breakfast and italian or something similar. Perhaps something with serranos and habenero garlic too. I do a lot of cooking with ground meat; burger, italian, chorizo ect. Most of my recipes I've changed around to use bulk italian sausage, or ground game meat of somekind. I'm just looking for something new to try. I figure I can start by using some of the mixes that I like and then doctor them up a bit if I can't find any ideas.

There are some real good recipes online - the biggest problem I have had is trying to adapt a recipe for 25 or 30 lbs down to smaller batches. If you try to simply divide by 5 to adapt a recipe for 25lbs down to 5lbs it doesn't seem to come out right. I have had better luck using a conversion calculator like this one http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.php

A tip I picked up that explained some things - 'When making sausage with pure venison, you have to reduce the quantity of spices somewhat. Since there is very little fat content to pure venison, a greater percentage of the spices remain in the meat, rather than fry off with the grease."

You can't go wrong - start with a basic recipe and experiment a bit.

DEER BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,165,153191-243200,00.html

Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 lb. ground deer (no suet)

1 lb. ground pork

2 tsp. ground sage

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Put ground deer and pork together in large bowl. Mix spices together and sprinkle over meat. Using hands work meat and spices together until thoroughly combined. Shape into a roll, wrap in plastic or foil and chill overnight in refrigerator. Slice and fry as regular sausage.

DEER ITALIAN SAUSAGE

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1618,153191-240200,00.html

Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 lbs. deer burger

1 lb. ground pork

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. black pepper

1 tbsp. fennel seeds

2 tsp. oregano

1 tsp. basil

2 tsp. crushed red pepper

1/2 c. water

Mix all ingredients as you would meatloaf, shape into patties. Fry slowly over medium heat, turn occasionally. Continue cooking until water in the pan evaporates, sausages are lightly browned and done in the center. (May be cooked as burger instead of patties and served on pizza or in spaghetti, etc.)

I am firing the smoker up this weekend - ground meat jerky using the jerky blaster and probably some cajun snack sticks, maybe tackle some jalapeno and cheese summer sausage...

cooks.com is one of my favorite web-site's to get new ideas from. We make all of our sausages from scratch, and like you said in your post, I add extras. I sometime will add Lawreys marinades to give it moisture and a little extra flavor.