Sign in to follow this  
D.F.M.

Back from unit 9

Well my boy and I got back from unit 9. Went up wednesday to do some scouting not much time because of school.Anyway set up camp looked around saw some cows but no bulls.The next day turkey day did some more scouting saw more cows and a lone raghorn bull went into town and had a thanksgiving burger.Got ready for opening day woke up at 5:00 and we were heading to a place we thought we might catch a bull coming from water no luck.Did alot of glassing checked out some out of the way places no luck.Later that day I glassed up a huge bull halfway up a ridge to far and not enough time to get to it.Went to check out this other area before it got too late. Not going so good boy dragging starting to get sick wasn't doing so good yesterday really showing today.Anyway we finally see a bull late in the day son gets ready to take a shot but the bull is on the move.Tries to get set up but the bull is still moving doesn't look like its going to stop.The bull is about a 330 to 340 class six point. Not a huge antlered bull but a big body bull for sure. I can tell my son is getting woorried that the bull won't stop.Try to tell him don't worry he will stop just be ready.Finally the bull stops its only been maybe 5 minutes if that.I ask my son if he has a shot and he say's yes.Thought about moving him where I was I had a clear view but he said he had a shot so I didn't. I'm wating for him to shoot.In my head I'm saying shoot,shoot shoot he's going to move and be gone but I don't say anything.About a minute goes by the bull turns put his head down and takes off. My boy is trying to get another shot but I can tell this bull isn't going to stop.The bull disappears over a little ridge and we never see him again.As we are walking back to the truck I ask my son why he didn't shot. He shakes his head looks at me and say's you know I just wasn't sure on the shot .Then he say's I didn't want to wound him and have him take off. And shakes his head again .At first I didn't know what to say I didn't expect an answer like that and I could tell he was very dissapointed.Alot of people would have shot and not even thought about that.Well now its dark we are heading back to camp I tell my son that he did the right thing and I was very pround of him. We end up packing up camp and heading home he's not doing to good .So we hunted for one day and no elk. My son was bummed but I say hey will get one next time don't worry about it you did the right thing and that all that matters. They say you learn something new everytime you go out hunting and I did.

Before I end I would like to thank all the people who gave me some good info and advice you know who you are I really appreciate that. Met some good people and thats always a good thing. Anyway if anyone needs help or info just p.m. and I'll be happy to help you if I can.

• Like 1