Airbusdriver

Question about Gambel's Quail

Yes quail taste good and yes they are in season. Try using small gauge shot since most the time you will be taking close shots if no small gauge and only a 12 then drag out your shot. I've incinerated quail when taking too close with a 12 & 16

Was out in the desert near Florence shooting with my two boys today. On the way out, we took a little trek north on the desert road and saw a covey of quail crossing the road. They appeared to be grey-ish in color; after looking at the AZGFD Rules book, I am guessing they were Gambel's, and it looks like they're in season.

Is there a big distinction between the various species of AZ quail? Are they good eating?

I had a fresh 2012 combo license in my wallet and was considering taking them, but wasn't sure.

Any input would be appreciated. My experience hunting birds in AZ is nil.

Thanks

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! DONT....EAT....QUAIL!!!! They are poison! If by some unfortunate accident you kill some, send them to me. I know LOTS of people who want...erg...I mean need to be posioned! Don't worry, I got your back.

I'm sure you've figured out that quail is quite tasty.

I stir fry it with veggies and Asian sauces and serve over rice.

No one ever notices "anything" and I don't tell them they are eating fresh food. LOL!