Sign in to follow this  
huntswnm

Affect of weather

My daughter has a Javelina hunt that starts here in NM on Monday. Its a really long hunt, goes into March, so we have plenty of time to do some hunting. However, with Monday being a holiday I am off work and she is out of school so we are gonna head out. Forecast calls for rain and I was just wondering what everyones experiences have been hunting Javelina in rainy conditions. I am guessing that they wont be out moving much in it, and will be bedded up under heavy cover or in dens. We are gonna go give it heck either way.

Jeff

My daughter has a Javelina hunt that starts here in NM on Monday. Its a really long hunt, goes into March, so we have plenty of time to do some hunting. However, with Monday being a holiday I am off work and she is out of school so we are gonna head out. Forecast calls for rain and I was just wondering what everyones experiences have been hunting Javelina in rainy conditions. I am guessing that they wont be out moving much in it, and will be bedded up under heavy cover or in dens. We are gonna go give it heck either way.

Jeff

I would glass the bottom of canyons and washes. In the thick stuff. If the rain stops, keep your eyes peeled. They should start moving if the rain stops. I believe you're right, they aren't going to be moving much. Good luck to your daughter. Hope to see pics real soon.

I'm not all that experienced. Only been hunting them 3 years, but I was out deer hunting a month ago and we had 2 or so straight days of rain here in AZ. There were pig tracks everywhere. Seemed like they were still moving to me. Their bellies will get them moving sooner or later. Bring your rain gear!