Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Belize Bonefish

Guest oneshot

I'm going to Turneffe Flats, Belize for a week of fishing for bones, permit and tarpon at the end of febuary. This is my first time fishing tropical flats, the Guide service is sending a package with helpfull items, but I'm hoping for some help from CWT.com members that may have fished the flats, any advise or tips???/ Thank You...

LUCKY! I was all set to go to Belize last summer and the wife chickened out. Someone told her it wasn't safe.

Have fun!

I am jealous... My wife and I have been to Belize twice now, once for school and again for our honeymoon. In total we have spent nearly 3 months in the country and will be returning as soon as our luck improves and our son gets a little bigger. We mostly do deep sea trolling and quick live bait fishing over the reef but I had the opportunity to flip flies at Ambergris Lagoon and in the surf of Placencia in the south. A trip to the flats is something I have spent many hours researching and dreaming about. I do think an outfit like FT will make for the best trip and going in Feb-March is the best time of year to be there. You will need a light wind breaker/ Rain jacket as it will rain every day between 2-4pm. Usually just isolated single thunderheads but you may get hit with a real storm too. I hope you enjoy the libation cause Belize is a great place to drink. It may be because of the surroundings, but Belikin is the best beach beer I have ever come across. Try a few of the local rums too, One Barrel has always been our favorite. Since we will be getting 18" of snow tonight here in northern CO, I am really, really jealous and hope you take tons of pics.

P.S. DesertBull- revisit the conversation with the wife because I have never once felt threatened or in danger while in Belize. Stay out of dark alleys, don't flash your cash and jewelry, and be aware of your surroundings and you will be absolutely fine.

post-4108-0-94350600-1328237649_thumb.jpg

post-4108-0-17091500-1328237689_thumb.jpg

post-4108-0-99970500-1328237719_thumb.jpg

post-4108-0-83934900-1328237756_thumb.jpg