Sign in to follow this  
Western Hunter

Interview with Elk Hunter Magazine’s Hunting Editor Remi Warren

What do you like about elk hunting the most?

I really like the challenge of elk hunting and the allure of elk themselves. Elk seem to be one of those western animals that can be hard to kill and just punching a tag in many places is seen as a feat. I also really like the fact that elk are such vocal animals. I think that communicating with them and calling to them can’t be matched.bugling-for-elk-with-a-friend.jpg?w=610&h=343

Do you prefer bowhunting or rifle hunting elk?

Bowhunting! I like to hunt the rut and I like the challenge of getting close to elk. I also really like rifle hunting elk late season. I enjoy hunting elk when the elements become the harshest. Chasing elk in extremes reminds me of what a tough and resilient animal they are.

How do you personally prepare for an upcoming elk hunt (physically), (gear), (shooting)

I try to stay in top physical shape year round. I hate to play catch up. One thing I do in particular as the elk season gets closer is I do all my training in the mountains. I like to put on a heavy pack and try sprinting up the steepest slopes I can find. When elk hunting I find myself needing to move quickly to get into position. This is especially true during archery season. I try to get my heart rate racing as fast as I can then try to slow it down as quickly as I can while training to prepare for the real thing.

I also like to shoot while I am out of breath and tired. I don’t think I have encountered many elk where I did not just beat feat up a steep slope. I think it is more important to practice shooting in the worst possible conditions because in the field more often than not, factors such as being out of breath, strong winds, rain, cold, etc. occur.

On a typical elk hunt what is always in your backpack?

I always carry parachute chord. I think this is a must for elk hunting. I have used it for hundreds of things. I use it to hang meat, make a tripod to shoot from, secure a shelter, fix shoe laces, making a bow release-aid when someone forgot theirs, I have even personally used it in survival situations to catch trout for lunch. I never leave home without my P-cord.

I also always have a couple contractor grade garbage bags. I use them for putting meat in inside my pack so my pack does not get bloody. I have also used them for shelters, rain gear, mattress pads (after stuffing with vegetation), a seat in the snow, and a water catch or for water transport.

Other than that the only things I carry are a spotting scope & tripod, knife, lighter, flashlight, water, food, some duct tape, and my cameras. I don’t like taking unnecessary stuff so I try to have as many possible uses as I can for the few items I pack.

elkhunter.jpg?w=610&h=405What is your favorite cow call? Bugle?

I really like the diaphragm calls by Bugling Bull Game Calls. The red and brown ones are my favorite. I also really like the Carlton Calls double reed estrus whine.

What do you like to do when you are not hunting?

If I am not hunting then I like to go fly fishing or rock climbing.

What kind of movies do you like?

Comedies, I think Happy Gilmore is an all-time favorite. I also like action movies with a suspenseful plot.

What is your favorite food?

I really like Mexican food, especially with elk or game meat. I mainly eat game meat and enjoy cooking it myself. If I am going out to eat, I will always choose Thai or Sushi.

Tell us something the readers would never guess about you?

I was struck by lightning in my right leg when I was a little kid. My dad and I were both struck at the same time in our backyard.

Tell us about your business and your websites?

I own Montana OutWest Outfitters (www.montanaoutwest.com).  I offer elk and deer hunts in Montana as well as hunts for bear, wolf, sheep, moose and goat. It is a full service trip meaning hunters stay in my lodge and enjoy some unbeatable meals as well. We chase what I consider to be general area elk. It can be tough hunting but we have had an outstanding success record in the area. I think our success is mostly due to the fact that my guides and I are all bonifide elk nuts and will do whatever it takes to get clients on bulls.

I also own an outfitting business on the South Island of New Zealand called Outland Outfitters (www.outlandoutfitters.com) where I guide hunters for free range red stag, tahr, chamois, fallow deer, small game and fishing. I spend March through the beginning of June hunting in NZ.

When I am not guiding, I film my own hunts and adventures for Solo Hunters airing on the Outdoor Channel. The new episodes will begin their run this June. I have some pretty cool hunts for this season including my Alaska Dall sheep, a solo trip to the border for Javelina and Coues, Nevada Antelope, Montana Whitetail, possibly a lion, and some DIY New Zealand hunting. I really encourage everyone to check it out. It is going to be awesome and will really relate to western hunters especially.

Feel free to friend me on Facebook. I also keep a blog at www.followthehunt.com you can check out some of my hunts throughout the season including new videos I post. I am generally out hunting but I am trying to get better at posting. I think hunters may enjoy what I have planned while in NZ this year. You can also check out my Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/montanaoutwest/featured.

1765 1765 1765 1765 1765 1765 1765 b.gif?host=feedtheobsession.elkhuntermagazine.com&blog=28377747&post=1765&subd=elkhuntermagazine&ref=&feed=1

View the full article

I saw this on another website, post #6 which references your mag and stance on the HB 2072 issue:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID33/1820.html

Any validity to it?

Ryan,

This has been discussed over on CW.com as well. Elk Hunter Magazine as a whole does not support HB2072. However, one of the editors did believe the bill was good for raising money for wildlife conservation in AZ and sent out that email you referenced. But Elk Hunter Magazine is not supporting HB2072.