Sign in to follow this  
Western Hunter

An Interview with Elk Hunter Magazine’s Photography Editor Tony Bynum

bull-rub-text-email.jpg?w=361&h=5411. What do you like about elk hunting the most?

I like the tactical aspects of closing the gap between me and a bull with his cows – particularly getting through the maze of eyeballs and noses to the target when I’m hunting bulls. While over the years I’ve learned some great techniques, it seems that no matter how much or how hard I hunt elk, just about the time I get to thinking I’ve got it figured out, elk do something I wasn’t expecting – it’s sobering! It truly is the pursuit and the learning that I like most.

2. Do you prefer bowhunting or rifle hunting elk?

I like rifle hunting, and I’ll tell you why. First, I’ve called in many large bulls for other hunters, and since I’m a wildlife photographer as well, getting in the lap of a big bull happens often, but still fascinates me. I’m lucky to be able to get close to a lot of giant bulls every year, but the reason I’m a rifle hunter is simple – time. I believe in being a tactician. The truth is I can do a better job killing an elk with my rifle (Tikka T3 .300 WSM) than I can with a bow since I don’t make the time to shoot a bow as often as I would like to in order to feel proficient enough ensure a clean kill. Fortunately, I’m in on some great hunts and bring elk right into my lap a few times every year, and the photography helps to quench my elk thirst.

3. How do you personally prepare for an upcoming elk hunt?

I’m usually in pretty good mental and physical heath due to my rigorous photography schedule, so I’m seldom very far out of shape. That said, on the gear side, I do prepare my packs. I always prepare backups of everything; there’s nothing worse than a breakdown or a problem in the field, so I like to be ready with a backup plan. Problems will occur, so it’s best to be prepared with a backup, or plan B, particularly if you’re on an expensive hunt or far from home. I also shoot my rifle out to 400 yards. I’m a 400-yard guy. If it’s within 400 and I have a good steady rest, with no wind, I’ll take the shot. I also feel that shooting out to 400 at the range helps me be a better shot. I’m not the guy who sights in at 25 and checks to see that I’m on at 100. I shoot it out to the end of my comfort zone.

4. What tips for preparing for an upcoming elk hunt can you give the elk hunter who maybe slides a little on their conditioning throughout the year but finds out they drew a good tag and wants to get fit for the hunt (say they have two months to prepare)?

The very best way to get ready for a live elk hunt is to do live training, there is no gym training in the world that will prepare you as good as dead weight, in a pack, on the mountain or in the type of terrain you’ll be hunting. Train in the real world, period. Even if you have to hit the gym during the week, go to a mountain on the weekend and hit it. Again, there is no gym training in the world that can replace the weather, the heat, sun, moisture, and ankle twisting of a real mountain and 40 lbs. on your back!

5. On a typical elk hunt, what’s always in your backpack?

It really depends on what type of elk hunt I’m on, so I’ll just list a few things that are always in my pack. First-aid kit, a good solid knife, and diamond sharpener, Gerber bone saw, compass, water, firestarter, p-cord, food, tag, headband or rag, game bag or two, duct tape, rang finder, binos, flagging ribbon, headlamp, gloves, map, whistle.

6. Do you have any tips for taking good elk photos and documenting the hunt? Can you recommend a couple of the best point-and-shoot cameras for the average hunter?

Use the flash for fill light if you need it; push up the bill of the hat so it’s not shadowing the face; don’t allow the hunter to “ride” the animal; try to make sure there are not extra things sticking out into the frame (branches, etc.); and don’t allow the gun or weapon to be placed in a dangerous or compromising position – in other words, don’t take the photo of a guy whose gun is propped up in a manner that it looks like it’s going to shoot him in the face or head. Use common sense. Olympus Tough and the Nikon AW 100 are your best bets, barn none.

7. What do you like to do when you are not hunting? Photograph wildlife!

8. What kind of movies do you like? I don’t watch movies.

9. What is your favorite food? Pizza and Mexican.

10. Tell us something our readers would never guess about you? I trained as an apprentice cook/chef for four years while going to college.

bugle-bull-river.jpg?w=427&h=427Trying to elicit a bugle

11. Tell us about your business and your websites?

I’m a full-time professional outdoor commercial and wildlife photographer. I shoot assignments and go on hunts to photograph people in action. My images are used all across the world for advertising and editorial content. I’m hired to photograph products from time to time, which is one of the funnest parts of my job. I love shooting with people and products in use, especially if it’s gear I actually like and use! I like to be creative in my photography and bring something different to the table. I like being around other people who have good energy and who have the attitude that we just live once – might as well make it a good life! I like to think I’m not just a photographer; I’m an adventurer. My tag line should be “Trails are for hikers. I’m an explorer.”

My website, www.tonybynum.com has a fraction of my work on it. In fact, it has just a small bit of what I do. I also sell some prints directly from my site, but sell limited-edition prints though my gallery or through myself directly. I’d like to offer the readers a discount of 20% off any shot that shows up in the magazine – just email me and tell me you saw it in the magazine and I’ll cut 20% off the price!

I also have a conservation project on my site, where I’m documenting the oil drilling along the Rocky Mountain Front. Please, if you’re at all interested, take a look at the site. If you need anything special, let me know. I have tons of photos that no one ever sees!

Deep down i’m a conservationist as much as i am a hunter. I love the land, i love the animals, i’m a hunter from the get go, but i’m also a person who cares deeply for the land. It is my philosophy that when making decisions about the land it is better to leave our options open for future generations than it is to take options off the table. If you give it some though it does not mean do nothing, it means everything we do in nature needs to be though of in terms of the future. . . we have just one earth, and it’s where i keep my stuff . . .

As a final note, i think we elk hunters have a responsibility if not an obligation to help each other be better hunters and conservationists. The bad apple is spoiling box these days. We need to step up and do a better job of self policing or self regulating the hunting community before it’s too late! We need to insure that our young people are taught properly and not just allowed to run wild with no ethics. We are nearing a turning point, we need to pull together and stay united!

1721 1721 1721 1721 1721 1721 1721 b.gif?host=feedtheobsession.elkhuntermagazine.com&blog=28377747&post=1721&subd=elkhuntermagazine&ref=&feed=1

View the full article