Sign in to follow this  
Guest John Capel

Rut vs post Rut Movement

Guest John Capel

I have a fondness for animal psychology. As a first time observer of Coues, I've developed a lot of questions. During the rut I found a super 5x5. Since then, a better scoring 4x4. Now that the rut activity has significantly declined I've tried locating the first buck, but with no success. I've heard different things regarding where these guys go pre/post rut. A friend told me that in the early 70's the AzGFD collared two mature bucks and found that they ended up 18 to 20+ miles from the original area. Is anyone aware of this or similar research? What has the experience of you who have been at it seriously for several years been? Do they stay in the general area year around? If leaving a home area during the rut do they return year after year to the same resident area?

I have seen big bucks up high on the mountains in october and november all alone or with other nice bucks. Then during the rut I saw some bucks that seemed to be some of the same ones. They were about 6 miles away down low off of the mountains fighting eachother for does. When the rut was over I wanted to head up and see if I could find them up high again before they droped there hornes. I did not get back up on the mountain in time to see them with the hornes on, But i did find some of the racks that had droped off in the same spot that I had seen them up high. I have also seen plenty of big coues buck down in the flats. That will come up to does and after the rut head back down in the deep draws of the flats. No matter what they will go to find does' and does are all over the place. That is just what I have seen . Now I am not saying it is always the case. Because as soon as you think you have them figured out they throw something new at you, and you go why did they do that. just my thoughts on the subject.

During the rut, the bucks are moving moving moving to find estrus does. Their habits and routines are completely out of wack at this time and you find them where you find them and it isnt necessarily in their normal "home territory". I am not any expert but like muley's, they will travel long distances looking for hot does so preseason scouting is when you find their home range but during the rut, the bucks you see could have traveled 5 miles to get to the hot does.........just my opinion.......Allen........