Sign in to follow this  
25-06

Huntin in thick catclaw

Many years ago, we found a hunter who had died of a heart attack on the very top of Biscuit Peak in the Mustang Mountains between Sonoita and Sierra Vista.

I've told the story about the incident on this forum a while back, but when the deputy arrived to make sure there were no crimes done he brought a stretcher and five of us packed the dead guy and our gear off the mountain long after dark.

If you've been on that peak you know it is covered with catclaw. We started out trying to keep our cargo from being scratched, but soon started using the stretcher and the corpse to protect our own hides.

So I have to say if you must go into that stuff, find yourself a dead guy first.

Bill Quimby :D

Now thats kinda funny Bill :D You know the only reason I was asking about this is that sometimes you just kinda find yourself in the middle of a forrest of this stuff :unsure: And there has got to be a better way out of it. I think maybe Bret and Amandas husband might just have it...Old school army issue ;) Thanks guys and gal.

I'm pretty sure the BDUs you would need would be the summer type. You will no the difference because the summers have a weave that looks like little stipes through them. Or just look at the tag, cold weather says cold weather. I can't remember what the tag on the summers read. They do work well with Fort Polk Lousiana thorn vines and their version of cat claw AKA wait-a-minute weed

i saw some of that filson tin cloth at the sportsmans wharehouse on greenfield next to the camo, it looks like good stuff, they have something to wear over pants that go up around your thigh, looks like pretty good stuff.

Rembrandt has the right idea! You just bust right through it and take your cuts and scratches. heck why deprive yourself of the joy of picking those curly stickers out your skin. That's part of reliving your hunt!