Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Rangefinder bino combo

I thought I'd share something I've learned the hard way. Read the warranty with the optics you are considering buying very well. Optics with electronics in them do not carry the same warranty that the optics by themselves carry. Leica covers them for just 5 years altogether. I am pretty ticked off after having spent over 2k on a pair of Geovids 6 years ago. Mine are still working fine but I was going to send them in to Leica (who is now dead to me) for a tuneup. I knew about the electronic policy when I bought them but I figured I'd risk it because worst case scenario I'd have a really heavy but really clear pair of binos. Also if you do buy Leica, know that the warranty card must be sent in, or there is no warranty. Leica has lost a customer today.

Swarovski isnt much better, their new EL Range has a 2 year electronic and a 10 year optic warranty.

The same thing goes for rifle scopes with rangefinders or illuminated reticles.

The other downside to the rangefinder combo is for right handed archery hunters. The button to use the range finder is on the left eyepiece. That isn't a deal breaker but it is pretty inconvenient.

Rip Leica.

Swarovski EL Range

With this SWAROVSKI OPTIK product, you purchased a high-quality product,

which comes with a worldwide warranty of 10 years on the binoculars

and 2 years on the electronics from the date of purchase according to the

following terms and conditions by SWAROVSKI OPTIK:

Leica doesn't cover the optics after the 5 years is up. Leica has the Lifetime Passport Warranty on their other binos and spotting scopes if you buy them from a licensed dealer, which I did. I assumed the glass, since they are binos would be covered. I'm pretty sure I said I was ok with the electronic policy. It is their not covering the glass part that pissed me off.

I never said "Don't buy Leica". This is a Buyer Information post. I just said I wont buy them anymore.