Sign in to follow this  
CountryD7127

23 Late Archery input

Not much to add that hasnt already been said but I will add that most deep nasty canyons with a lot of cover near water WILL have bulls in them. That isnt alway apparent because of all the cover but keep glassing! Also, waterholes arent any different in this unit than others.....someone owns it (or so they think). Consequently, the primary trails leading to them is where I set up. As an added bonus, it usually pisses off the "owner" of the waterhole! So look at topo maps with canyon system that lead to or have waterholes in them. Lastly, if you find one bull keep looking because there are usually more that you have not seen yet! If you stocking one alway keep your eyes open because will dump some on your stock!

Personally I have never elk hunted in 23 however my wife's uncle lives close too and spends a lot of time in this unit. He is always telling me that the North East portion of the unit produces some monsters that only venture out of the canyons just before dark. I would agree that scouting the canyons would be best and probably why it is such a tough hunt. I don't have pictures but this same uncle harvested a 330" bull out of that unit in that general area. He is pretty open about supporting the hunting experience for others. I'll see if I can get some specifics to you. Good luck!

Personally I have never elk hunted in 23 however my wife's uncle lives close too and spends a lot of time in this unit. He is always telling me that the North East portion of the unit produces some monsters that only venture out of the canyons just before dark. I would agree that scouting the canyons would be best and probably why it is such a tough hunt. I don't have pictures but this same uncle harvested a 330" bull out of that unit in that general area. He is pretty open about supporting the hunting experience for others. I'll see if I can get some specifics to you. Good luck!

Thanks for the input