Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Grayback Mtns Jr Hunt 20c

Thinking about scouting around the Grayback mountains to put in for a Jr Mule deer hunt. Anyone have any thoughts on this being a decent area to consider fo ra late Novemeber hunt? Hoping for more 4x4 travel. less hunt pressure, and don't mind putting some miles on the boots and time on the glass.

I hunt that area every year during the jr pig hunts. Tough tough tough is about the best I can say say for deer. There are some deer and a few bucks that hang out along the highway but if I were going into 20c for the jr deer hunt I would look elsewhere or hunt the lower stuff near the santa maria river.... There just isn't much permanent water up in the hills. The best buck I have seen the last 8 years was a 145 type buck that was close to the river......

I would not put in a lot of time scouting the area. I have and have not had a lot of sucess. I have just begun to figure out the unit and the KEY is look for permanent water sources and you will find deer. There isnt a lot of deer but you may get lucky and find a big one. Lots of private property up there so find a hunter friendly rancher that will allow you to drive or walk in. Good Luck