Sign in to follow this  
azbighornhunter

Lifesize Desert Sheep Cape

My Dad has a lifesize Desert Sheep cape for sale. This cape is beautiful and was cut using one dorsal cut last December. There are NO accidental cuts in the cape. It was skinned by very knowledgeable outdoorsmen and was taken care of well. The cape has been tanned for a lifesize mount but the hunter only wants a shoulder mount.

If you harvested a ram, and made the mistake of cutting off the back half and now regret it, he would like to make a deal.

He does not want to sell the cape without a shoulder mount cape to replace it though.

Please give him a call to discuss it.

XXX-XXX-XXX

Thanks to a friend of mine we did not make a terrible mistake! Whew!!!!!

According to ARS 17-371 Transportation, possession and sale of wildlife and wildlife parts

"E. Heads, horns, antlers, hides, feet, or skin of wildlife lawfully taken, or the treated or mounted specimens thereof, may be possessed, sold and transported at any time, except that:"

Here's the important part:

"2. It is unlawful to sell the heads, horns, hides, feet or skin of bighorn sheep taken on or after October 1,2005, but the department may sell heads, horns hides, feet or skin of bighorn sheep that were illegally taken and confiscated by or donated to the department"

The way I understand it, as long as the animal was legally taken, Deer, Elk, Antelope, etc parts can be sold, but NOT BIGHORN SHEEP!!!!

So, please be aware of this law if you need a sheep cape! If you have a tag take very special care with yours and I recommend a lifesize skinning job even if you don't plan on a lifesize mount. It will be hard to replace.

FYI :)

I looked in the AZGFD 2012 -2013 Hunting and Trapping Regulations and did not see ARS 17-371 in there. I wonder why? Perhaps AZGFD needs to add it for next year's printing so nobody makes the mistake by ignorant accident.

I'm assuming it's in effect because I found it on the state legislature website. If anybody knows differently please let me know.

Here's the link: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/17/00371.htm&Title=17&DocType=ARS

FYI :)

Call US fish an wildlife, I think it depends on what type of desert bighorn that determines weather it's legal or not to sale the cape!!!

All,

Amanda asked that I chime in on this, and I'm glad she did. Here's the deal...the language which prohibits the sale of bighorn sheep parts was struck in this years AZ Game and Fish Department Omnibus Bill (http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/hb2639p.pdf) which will take effect I believe 90 days after the legislature adjourns sine die which I believe will be August 2nd. So effective on or about August 2nd, this language will be struck and it will no longer be illegal for someone to sell sheep parts taken after 2005. So azbighornhunter, have your father wait until this date and he will be good to go to sell the cape. I'm sure it will bring some good money. Please email me directly if any of you has any questions. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks a bunch!

Ben Brochu

Wildlife Manager 37B

520-591-7636

bbrochu@azgfd.gov

All,

Amanda asked that I chime in on this, and I'm glad she did. Here's the deal...the language which prohibits the sale of bighorn sheep parts was struck in this years AZ Game and Fish Department Omnibus Bill (http://www.azleg.gov...lls/hb2639p.pdf) which will take effect I believe 90 days after the legislature adjourns sine die which I believe will be August 2nd. So effective on or about August 2nd, this language will be struck and it will no longer be illegal for someone to sell sheep parts taken after 2005. So azbighornhunter, have your father wait until this date and he will be good to go to sell the cape. I'm sure it will bring some good money. Please email me directly if any of you has any questions. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks a bunch!

Ben Brochu

Wildlife Manager 37B

520-591-7636

bbrochu@azgfd.gov

so why do you suppose Cabela's sent me an offer to buy my 2006 sheep in 2006 clearly after this 2005 rule was in place???

Thank you very much Ben!!!!!! We'll see if the taxidermist still has the whole cape. I'm afraid he may have already cut it. If not, we'll try again after August 2nd. Thanks again!!!!!