I was wondering what people were using to handgun hunt on here. I hope to get drawn for a rifle deer hunt this year so I can use mine.

I used to use a ruger .357mag, then I gave it to my wife because she can hit stuff with it and I cant.

I now use a Taurus Raging Bull 454 casull with a 2x6 power burris scope on it.

I can put 10 bullets in a 4" circle at 200 yards with it if the conditions are right.

Just wanted to know what you use.

GMM :ph34r:

I use a S&W 357 for mountain lion hunting. It sure beats packing a rifle along while trying to keep up with a running cat and dogs. My dad has killed one mule deer buck with his 357 I have never tryed anything but lion with a pistol. I would like to because I like shooting a handgun.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

I shoot a a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull. I load it with 300gr Hornady xtp's. I would like to kill a bear with it this year.

My S&W .41 Remington Magnum does a number on Javelina. If the opportunity ever presents itself (close shot) I would like to try it on other big game.

Galiuro Mountain Man

I have never shot any big game with my pistol, but If I was going to try I would take my S&W 357 Magnum. It is the only large caliber hand gun that I own, and I can shoot it reasonably well. I sure hate the sound of that thing though! Whew!

Coues Addict

I carry earmuffs anytime I have my pistol with me. That 454 is the loudest thing I have ever heard! I usually put them on the top of my head so it is quick to get them on. I started handgun hunting when I was 19, but have never got anything larger than a coyote, I havent been drawn for anything for a few years, so I just archery hunt. I hope I can get drawn for deer or elk this year, so I can use my pistol.

GMM

Hey GMM

Does that cannon of yours have a scope on it or is that even legal in AZ. I have killed Javelina and deer with my bow but have never tried pistols. I am getting older and I guess I just prefer Rifle hunting because I am getting lazy. Oh , I didn`t say that did I ? I also can`t see up close like I used to. If I was gonna try pistol hunting I would probably want a scope, or lighted glow sights like my bow has. Good Luck in this years draw. Coues Addict

Yes, I have a scope on it. It is a 2-6 power burris. I had another scope on it but it fell apart because of recoil. I had to get a higher quality scope so it wouldnt happen again. I cant wait to get drawn for something, I really want to take my pistol out for something more than coyotes.

GMM

Hey GMM

You Know, You could go to New Mexico on an over the counter tag. Thats what I am going to do this year even if I get drawn for an Arizona hunt. I have always wanted to try New Mexico. You can take a mule deer or a coues deer so there should be plenty of shot opportunities. If you don`t get get drawn there is always Ca. over the counter tags. I hunt an area that has desert mule deer every year and I know a couple of guys that use handguns sometimes they score and some years they don`t. You`ll go crazy if you don`t take that cannon out and really put it to good use. My brother in law is thinking about coming over here to Ca. for the same reason, He can`t seem to draw a deer tag either. Well it`s something to think about anyway. I truly hope you get a tag this Year, Good Luck. Coues Addict :rolleyes:

GMM, I don't understand why you are not getting drawn for anything for awhile. Are you putting in for a December hunt for your your 1st and 2nd choices? If you are, your chance of getting drawn is slim. There is a way of applying which will give you at least some kind of hunt. I have never been denied a white tail tag by the drawing.

Edited by Diamondbackaz

This next year I will be putting in for whitetail. I have been putting in for unit 32 mule deer. These tags are pretty high demand I guess??? I know I am getting my info right because I had an archery cow tag 2 years ago. I will look at my regs again for last year, but I think there was a high number of apps for these hunts. I know if I can get drawn for this hunt I can probably get a trophy md off of the private land I hunt on. This area has only a few coues on it and the unit gets conjested during wt hunts, that is why I havent put in for wt there yet.

GMM

It is a high demand area. I can tell you that unit 32 has some great bucks left in it But I think the mule deer could hurt from the hunt preasure in the next few years. This year alone I know of about 6 very nice mule deer bucks out of that unit.

Looking at the draw odds in the back of the regs, 32 is not off base for whitetail with 36B which is what I always put in for. I always put in for: 1st. 36BDec, 2nd. 36BNov, 36BOct, and 4th and 5th in other areas for Oct. I have always have gotten for my 1st or 2nd choice. The way I understand the process, each application is given a draw number in the drawing process. When the computer gets to your number, it looks at your 1st choice, if that hunt is full, then it goes to your 2nd choice to see if there are openings. If there is, then you get a tag for the 2nd chioce. You get the tag despite the fact that another application that has a higher draw number had put that hunt down for a 1st choice. If the 2nd choice hunt is full too, then your last three choices will be looked at after all of the applications have been processed. Basically the last 3 choices are for the left overs. So when you select your last three choices, select hunts that have less 1st and 2nd applicants that there are permits. Also, many hunters don't hunt because they make stupid mistakes on their application.

Edited by Diamondbackaz

I just looked at 03-04 regs and there were 600 tags available for my first choice hunt in 02 and there was over 2000 people that put in for it. I will probably put in for it again first choice, then try for wt hunts on the rest, heck, I just might get a tag this year.

GMM