Sign in to follow this  
The Chase

Unit 34B Help

Anyone out there willing to give some info on unit 34B. I picked up a leftover tag for this unit end of Oct. hunt for my daughter her first year to hunt and i want it to be an enjoyable experence for her. So any info any one is willing give is greatly appreciated.

Do plenty of research on access. Game and fish website has some good tips on ways to get in. I will also say that I think it sucks the dirty trick the county is playing on the public out here. They have purchased ranches in the area, and don't have the authority to close them off like they would love to, so they post signs that would make the average joe think that pure heck will reign down if they enter. If you get access, the "rules" they lay out are intimidating as well. They can't come out and say they don't want you there, but by the state of disrepair the roads and gates are in, I would say that people are indeed avoiding these areas like the county wants. Eventually the roads will cease to exist and the county will have less to worry about.

There's lots of FS access on the east side of the whetstone mtns... but unfortunately there will not be very many areas to find solitude if you know what I mean. If you are willing to hunt on weekdays your odds will be better of seeing more deer than people. Border Patrol presence is very high in that unit and expect to see BP trucks and helicopters checking you out if you are crawling around in the dark getting to and from your spots. I hunted that area for Javelina and predators this spring and saw lots of deer amongst the cattle.

tough unit but ive seen some big bucks in there, nice camping by empire ranch. you can get into the wetstones from there. also try and go north to I 10. There is a gas line rd thats pretty rough but good hunting.

Thank you both for the info. I have varmint called the gas line road a couple of times. Dont need to kill a toad just need her to have a good time and enjoy it as long as we can see some deer and throw a couple of stalks I would call that a success. Its all about the chase the kill is just a added bonus.

Thanks again for the info.