Jbird

Killing small bucks

My 2 cents...

To some, hunting is a lot more than just antlers...it is a tradition. I would be lying if I said I didn't dream of killing a big 110" buck, but it is not everything to me. It is about the entire experience from scouting, exploring new areas, enjoying the company of others and if your lucky...harvesting a deer. But the next part is my favorite...butchering, this something I enjoy very much and get great satisfaction from. I enjoy this part of the process just as much or possibly even more than the rest of it. This is how I was raised and I hope to pass this on to my kids.

And let me just say, I do a lot of backpack hunts and work quite hard doing this but I have no problems shooting a small buck after putting in so much work. In fact, I don't backpack in to find big deer, I pack in because I enjoy it (and get away from the crowds)!! I get satisfaction out of packing out a deer. Again, it is about the whole experience, the deer is just a small part of it.

Lets just remember the old saying...to each his own!

• Like 1

Being a 16 year old hunter- who is to say that a spike is not a trophy in one a hunter's eye? Who is to say that all the hard work that goes into chasing these grey ghosts is not as climactic when we take a spike as when we get a bigger deer?

I will be hunting this week for the opener. My 4th year with a coues tag. I've never gotten a shot at one due to a series of unfortunate hunts. Yes, those hunts were still fun- but not as satisfying as a successful one.

I can honestly say that right now I would not care if I shot a spike or a 100" 3x3. Either way, a tremendous amount of hard work would have been put into taking that deer. I'll tell you this- first buck that I get within 400 yards of that has antler, is going to die. And if I do get a deer, whateer it may be, I will be extremely happy. A spike would be as much of a godsend as a trophy for me.

At lest for me, antler restictions would just make things more complicated. Let the sleeping dogs lie- and let us decide what we think is a trophy.