Sign in to follow this  
Just A Hunter

Anybody hunt Coues recently in Chihuahua?

I have hunted Coues in Sonora (along with mule deer) for most of the last 8 years. Was thinking of going to Chihuahua for Coues. I used to see quite a bit written about it with some nice deer taken too. But don't see much now and could not find anything while browsing through the site.

Maybe the quality has gone down or possibly safety issues? Any input would be great. I know for most of the hunts I have seen there the jump off point is El Paso, Texas.

Thanks.

As this is the area that most of the violence in Mexico is occuring, they're just isnt as many people going. I hunted a ranch down there about 5 or 6 years ago, and we had a great hunt, but due to the violence and long drive required (at least some of the drive to this ranch would have to be in the dark) we haven't gone back. The outfitter has called us several times trying to get us to come back as he is having trouble finding hunters.

Also, Mexico as a whole has had a few down years lately. Big summer time droughts have really put a hurt on the deer, especially flats ranches near Hermosillo which had significant die off in some areas where ranchers just moved cattle instead of trucking in water. With reportedly good rains this summer, I'm hoping for a good year down there.

Hit Man:

Did you feel threatened or have any problems when you were there, either on the roads, at the boarder or on the ranch? I am thinking you did not go back because you did not feel safe.

I hunted deer down in Mexico south of Laredo about 3 years ago and that guy could not find hunters either. But his daughter lived on the ranch full time and drove back and forth to Laredo by herself all the time. They were Caucasion too. Never felt threatened. Thanks Again.

I have never felt threatened while down in Mexico and have been going for 10+ years. To be honest, I would love to go back to the Chihuahua ranch we hunted as we did very well. But the people I hunt with (mainly my father) don't feel comfortable going to Chihuahua, and it's all due to the reported violence. We had a great hunt on the ranch, and never had any type of issue where we didn't feel safe. He had a interesting situation one year on a ranch the was RIGHT ON the border (in Sonora) and therefore had a lot of drug/illegals activity. But I've never personally had an issue - knock on wood.

I have hunted in Ch the last 2 years and am going back down again in January. We cross over at Columbus, NM as it is not very busy and is an easy crossing there. I have never had any issues and have never felt threatend nor has anyone that has hunted with out outfitter.

We have had no issues with the quality of deer being down, I think people just feel threatened and are not going. While El Paso is the safest city in the US for populations of over 500,000, it is right across from Bagdad on the Border and can tell you that Juarez is not the place you want to be in, even though the violance is down 40% from last year. But crossing over at Columbus and driving down does not seem like any threat to me at all and it is not going to stop me from going until I feel there is an issue.

I have had 2 friends go down there with me that have hunted in Africa several times and they both said they feared for their safey more in Africa than they did in Mexico (at least where we hunt)