BowNut

Garmin 24K map software

Do any of you guys have this software. I wanted to know if it just did the Natinal Parks or does it cover more of the state? Thanks Bownut

post-1013-1154836155.jpg

its only the national parks and if i remember it only really shows the grand canyon for AZ and the 24k isnt usgs its Garmins version and done very poorly, to be honest it isnt worth the money ( i know i used to sell garmin products) your best bet is to stick with just uploading and downloading waypoints off of other software to your GPS i.e NGS topo or Maptech i have both and use both.

Well Shoot I guess I should have done some more research. I wanted to be able to download the topo maps of my hunting areas to my GPS. I had a Garmin 12 and just bought the 60c thinking it could be done. Went to order it and saw it said National Parks. But live and learn I guess. Thanks for your help eyeguards

you can actually put topo maps in your GPS for anywhere in north america with the garmin

mapsource topo program. it runs about $100 and its maps are 1:100000 which is close to what the usgs

maps are. with this prorgam you can have your topo map of your chosen area in your gps. the only limit

is the amount of memory your gps has in it for storing maps. it takes 32 megabytes to store all of arizona

in the gps to give you a sense of scale. hope that helps.

The garmin mapsource is good for a quick terrain check if your hiking but for hunting i find that it isnt all that good (in my opinion no offense) i have used and sold garmin gps units and software aswell as taught gps classes. And i have heard soo many people talk about getting lost or that thier maps didnt show the correct springs,seeps.tanks,trails etc and the most common problem is that people tend to rely only on the gps and its "mapping" so if it fails u are lost. Like i said mapsource is really only good for general location reference. So if you use it please still carry a hard map and compass. :P

Thanks for all the info guys its been a great help.

eyeguards, My dad is on Tonto Rim Search and Rescue everyone needs to take your advise. I ALWAYS carry a map and compass along with my GPS. I did learn that you can not always rely on just your GPS. Marked my truck one day and 2D was the best I could get with the tree and cloud cover. Lucky enough I knew were I was at because when I did the Goto to head back to the truck it told me it was 2 miles in the wrong direction. So it can happen and I had been using it for about 2 years and thought I know everything about it. Thanks Again everyone for your help!