Sign in to follow this  
Don Martin

Proposed Access Agreement on Boquillas Ranch in Unit 10

If you are a turkey hunter (spring) and think you are going to want to hunt turkey in the spring on the Boquillas Ranch in Unit 10, you might want to read this article I wrote and have posted in other forums.

Fellow Sportsmen:

I'm sure by now you may have heard about a proposed access agreement by the Arizona Game & Fish Department for the Boquillas Ranch.

This agreement, if it is signed by all the parties (AZ G&F Commission, Navajo Nation, Cholla Land & Cattle Co.) will define the way access is granted on this 750,000 acre ranch from now through 2015.

NOTE: AS OF THIS TIME THE DOCUMENT HAS NOT BEEN SIGNED! My understanding is that since this document was passed out at the Commission meeting on Saturday, there have been three revisions to it!

So there obviously have been some changes made in the document, but I don't know what they are.

This is what I wrote for our local newspaper about what I know about this story.

" I’ve said it many, many times before in past articles I’ve written in the Miner about sportsmen and the almost unfettered access they have enjoyed on the Boquillas Ranch. And I hate to point my finger at some of my friends and say, “I told you so,” but guess what? It’s finally looks like it is going to happen. It is like a tsunami on the horizon.

It’s coming and it appears that barring some kind of major meltdown, there nothing much that can happen to stop it from changing the hunter access on the 750,000 acre Boquillas Ranch in Unit 10.

What is going to bring this change is outlined in a 13-page Department document entitled “Cooperative Stewardship Agreement For Recreational Access.”

I had learned from various sources that for some time the department was actively working on an agreement with the Navajo Nation, who owns the almost 500,000 acres of privately deeded lands within the ranch boundaries. Discussions were also held with the Cholla Land and Cattle Company, which currently leases the ranch from the Navajo Nation and runs the livestock operation there.

But it wasn’t until I learned last week there was an item on the agenda for the G&F Commission on 1-11-2013 meeting which addressed a written proposal and a power point presentation to the Commission about this issue that the contents of the document became public knowledge.

As information on what had been presented became public, it was apparent that some sweeping changes were being proposed by G&F. I spoke with Region 3 Supervisor Tom Finley at the G&F awards banquet last Saturday night (1-12-2013) and requested a meeting with him on Monday to go over the document.

Subsequently I met with Finley (1-14-2013) and was given a copy of the document. As I read through it I have to admit I was shocked at what I was reading, and had many questions for Finley.

Our over two hour conversation was cordial and pleasant and the long time departmental employee was very open and honest when it came to answering the questions I asked.

Finley told me a lot of history about the access issues on the Boquillas Ranch, some of which I did not know.

For instance did you know that there has not been a signed access agreement between the Navajo Nation and the Department regarding sportsman’s access on the ranch for many years?

“Each year we just kind of held our breath and hoped that things would stay the same,” Finley said.

Finley pointed out that the department had conducted projects in years past on the Boquillas to help mitigate issues caused by wildlife and/or sportsmen.

There was the grading of some ranch roads using department equipment, funding for cleaning out stock tanks, habitat improvement projects, placing informational signs on ranch access points, and patrolling of the vast ranch during hunts by officers. There was also a sign in/sign out system put in place to see who was utilizing the ranch.

And let’s not forget how the Mohave Sportsman Club held an annual ranch cleanup up out there for 21 years!

But despite all of that, it finally came to the point where the Navajo Nation said they were going to close down the ranch.

Finley said, “I got a call last fall from an official with the Navajo Nation and was told that the tribe intended to close down the ranch to hunters effective January 1, 2013.” Finley noted that as private landowners the ranch can control access and does have the authority to close the ranch down if they wanted.

But the call came with an offer for G&F to meet with tribal officials and the Cholla Land & Cattle company and once more try and write up an agreement that would continue to allow sportsman access on the ranch.

Finley said he was given the assignment by G&F Director Larry Voyles and Deputy Director Gary Hovatter to write up the proposal.

“It has been a challenge for sure,” Finley said. “I feel like I have a big bull’s-eye on my chest.”

Finley stated several times that sportsmen need to understand that the document has not been signed by all the parties, that it is actually going through a third revision.

And Finley noted that the bottom line was that the Navajo Nation could legally at any time, close the ranch to hunter access. “They are already empowered to do what they want, as far as access on their private property is concerned.”

Despite all those admonitions I think it is going to be a done deal. My take on this is that it is not if this agreement will be signed, it is only when.

So let me get right to point and list some of the things that may be of interest to you as a sportsman who want to hunt on the Boquillas.

Remember, this information is off the draft that was presented to the Commission. And as Finley noted, there are other revisions that already have been made. So some of these actions may be subject to change.

First of all the ranch is going to start charging what is called a Recreational Impact Fee. That fee will be $60 for a recreational user over 18 years of age. The fee for guides is $200. I should note here that these permits are for each hunt. So if a sportsman has drawn two big game tags and wants to hunt on the Boquillas both times, they will have to pay for TWO separate RIF fees.

Also anyone who helps or assists on big game hunts will also have to pay the $60 RIF fee. There are a number of exceptions especially when it comes to youth hunts, and disabled hunters.

There are currently listed 26 ranch rules. I don’t have enough room to list them all.

Here are a few. The ranch will not be open year around. Rule 5 of the 2013 Ranch Rules state: “Access by Recreational Users to the Big Boquillas Ranch will open 10 days prior to the archery-only pronghorn hunt opening date (late August) . Access before that date is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch, unless otherwise expressly authorized in writing by the Lessee.”

Under Rule 6, “Access by Recreational Users to the Big Boquillas Ranch will close 5 days after the conclusion of the December antlerless elk hunt. Access after that date is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch, unless otherwise expressly authorized in writing by the Lessee.”

That means no January archery deer or javelina hunts. There will be no general javelina hunts in February, or spring turkey hunts on the ranch. The ranch will not be open for prairie dog hunting in the summer until mid August. Organized predator hunts may be allowed on a case by case basis.

Here are just a few of the other ranch rules that may be in force this year.

Under Rule 14. “The use of trail cameras, scouting cameras or any other automated remote device camera systems is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch.

Rule 15 states, “The construction of or use of blinds or tree stands (commercial or otherwise) is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch.

Rule 16 states, “Hunting within 100 yards of a water source is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch.

Other proposed rules state that, “The use of any substance to attract wildlife (baiting) is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch. (rule 20)

“All spotlighting is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch.” (rule 25)

Now many may feel that these rules are unreasonable. But think of what the alternatives are.

One is the Boquillas ranch could be completely shut down to all sportsman access.

The other option, which may be called “elitist” is what is going on the ORO Ranch right now. In that situation you must call the Outfitter (Chad Smith) who controls access to the ranch, and you must pay fees according to what you have a tag for.

And those fees are not chump change, especially for elk. I was told that fees from $8-10 thousand dollars for elk seem to be the going rate there.

Same thing also happens closer to Kingman on the X Bar One Ranch in Unit 18A. Again you have to contact the ranch owners and pay fees, depending on what tag you have drawn.

At this point there are many, many more questions that are going to have to be answered for sportsmen who I feel aren’t going to particularly embrace this proposal. In the end I bet after all the whining and griping by sportsmen, they’ll pay the fees and continue to hunt out there.

I’ve suggested to Findley that some kind of public outreach should be done to let sportsmen know why this has all been proposed.

Times have changed and so has the rules for access on large blocks of private lands.

Wildlife and sportsmen no doubt cause an increase in ranch operations. The Cholla Land and Cattle company says they spend $500,000 annually for maintenance on the Boquillas. However there is no way that all of that can be attributed to wildlife and/or sportsmen.

But it may be reasonable that a private landowner can obtain some compensation—and I don’t mean landowner tags—for allowing access on their lands.

Right now, sportsmen from all over the nation are applying for antelope and elk tags in Arizona. There are almost 2,500 elk tags proposed for Unit 10, and 145 antelope tags.

Know that if you apply for any of those tags and draw them, there is a very good chance that at least some and maybe all of the rules outlined here are going to apply.

If you want a copy of the original document, it is a public record and Region 3 should provide it for you.

If you have concerns, questions, or suggestions, contact Finley at his department e-mail address of tfinley@azgfd.gov "

Well there you have it. I'm not saying if this is good or bad. I do know that shutting it down will cause a lot of issues with tag revenues for the Department and will cause a lot of grief to sportsmen who have already applied for antelope or elk tags in Unit 10. And it will cause issues for the Cholla folks as left unchecked, the elk population will absolutely explode. I do know that the Cholla folks do want elk hunters there.

Each and every one of us will have to make a decision if we think this is a good or bad idea and if we want to continue to hunt on the Boquillas. If we do, then we'll be paying fees and abiding by the agreed upon ranch rules.

Then there is the question about what may be a be the trickle down effect for other AZ landowners who might want to implement the same or similar "deal" with the Department.

And what about the State Trust Lands (250,000 acres) that are mostly surrounded by the almost 500,000 acres of private land?

Like I said many, many questions will need to be answered.

I do have the complete report on a pdf file. If you would like it, send me an e-mail at awoguide@citlink.net and I'll be glad to send it to you and can read it in its entirety for yourself.

I am putting this out here not to stir up a firestorm. It is here because I think the public has a right to know what is going on with this very important issue of access on the largest ranch in northwest Arizona.

Don Martin

post-3669-0-75244100-1358581340_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, but it is good news that they are willing to keep the discussion going. We can only hope that our voices and the voices of all the other hunters and recreasionist (not many out there) are being heard. When this started I was sure it would just be rammed down our throats to shut us up.