Sign in to follow this  
Coueser

Arizona Bonus Points

I've got a quick question for all of you Pros out there. It looks like I will be heading out of state to go to school this fall and will be unable to hunt in Arizona for the next four years. I have five bonus points for elk and was talking to a friend yesterday who told me that if I don't put in for one year that I will lose those bonus points. I had never thought of this before. I know that Game and Fish allows for "buying a bonus point" this year but am not excited at the thought of paying for a tag that I don't get (especially as a poor college student). My question is this, do I really lose my bonus points by not applying for the hunt for one year? If not one year, do any of you know how many years you can't apply without losing bonus points? Thanks in advance for any answers. I guess if I have to do it, I can just put in for trophy bull while I'm gone at school and you better believe that I will be missing class and hitchiking my way back if I draw one of those tags! Thanks again for any info.

Just keep putting in for it. As a student you will stay a resedent of Arizona. That is why you pay out of state tuition. You will not have the bonus point taken from you any way. My brother was leaving for two years so he called the game and fish and they said he would keep the bonus points. The thing about bonus points is they are only good when used. It is not like they only have so many to give out and they run out. hope that helps you out. besides anything else bonus points have been worthless to me and many hunters anyway. some guys get drawn year after year and others go ten years with not getting drawn.

The truth of the matter is you probably stand a better chance at becomeing a res of another state and putting in and gettin drawn right.

Good luck with the draw and with your education.

You won't lose your bonus points unless you DON"T APPLY FOR FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS. See the Regs page 54, R12-4-107.

Personally I think they work, but you need a lot.

I also like the buy a point rule that is new this year. I have a buddy who had 6 bonus points for elk a few years ago. He knew he would be at the Police Acadamy during the early hunt and did not want to get drawn. So he put in for one of the long shot hunts and guess what? He got drawn! He had one weekend to hunt, came close to killing a big bull but was not succesful. It would have been a good year for him to buy a bonus point - if it had been available at that time.

Mike

Guest Ernesto C

If I were you I'll buy the bonus points (if you wont be able to hunt if drawn) you are a resident so it will not be expensive beside by the time you are back you will have enough bonus points to apply for a early bull or for a trophy unit.

Mike is correct,if you dont apply for five consecutive years the you will lose your bonus points.

God bless you at school and out of school too.

Ernesto C.

Thanks for the responses! It sure is great to have so many people who know so much about hunting in Arizona on one website. The great info on this site is invaluable. I still haven't decided for sure what I will do this year but good luck to all of you on the draw!