Sign in to follow this  
monstercoues

What Ammo To Use in my new .270 Rem Short Mag?

I just bought a new .270 Remington Model 700 Short Mag and I am wondering what load to use, preferably a 130 grain bullet. I reload, so if someone can offer me an accurate bullet and powder charge, that would be awesome. I am hearing these guns are shooting 3/4 " groups with factory loads, so I am pretty excited and can't wait to shoot it.

I just bought a new .270 Remington Model 700 Short Mag and I am wondering what load to use, preferably a 130 grain bullet. I reload, so if someone can offer me an accurate bullet and powder charge, that would be awesome. I am hearing these guns are shooting 3/4 " groups with factory loads, so I am pretty excited and can't wait to shoot it.

i know federal has like 6 offerings for a 270wsm, other than that i was gonna load some 140 accubonds for a friend, i never did he just decided to buy the federals

Thanks for the info, I have heard the Win Silvertips shoot really well also. I am just trying to imagine how good it will shoot with reloads. I have shot Hornaday spirepoints through my old .270 and they did the trick for years, but I am not sure about the short mag. I am hoping someone who loads for this gun will give me what I am looking for. Thanks again.

i know federal has like 6 offerings for a 270wsm, other than that i was gonna load some 140 accubonds for a friend, i never did he just decided to buy the federals

I don't reload, but my .270 WSM shoots the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips REALLY WELL!

look at the forum topic called 'our guns wont shoot worth a hoot'

the best group of the day ( thats right, i out shot Doug!!) was from my 270 wsm. the load goes as follows:

140 nosler accubond

winchester brass

F215M primer

63.5 H4831sc start 10% lower and work up as this is 1 grain over max in noslers book

2.892"

look at the forum topic called 'our guns wont shoot worth a hoot'

the best group of the day ( thats right, i out shot Doug!!) was from my 270 wsm. the load goes as follows:

140 nosler accubond

winchester brass

F215M primer

63.5 H4831sc start 10% lower and work up as this is 1 grain over max in noslers book

2.892"

Thanks for the advise. What kinda groups were you getting. I couldn't find the our guns won't shoot topic. Where is it located.

Please report.

Are you guys satisfied with the .270 short mags? Does it kick much? Will it knock down an elk at 500 yards?

I am gonna guy a rifle in the next year and it will either be a .270 or a .270 short mag.

it will kill an elk at 500 yards but i think that too long of a shot for .277.. that is a long poke! if your going to be shooting that far at elk, you need a 300 ultra mag. mine shoots well, not much kick but it also has a good recoil pad and weighs about 10-11 pounds accuracy and velocity have always been there.