Sign in to follow this  
CouesSlayer

What's the method

I am thinking about going shed hunting in unit 24 of nm, and I was wondering where do you find shed, do the bucks shed them in the same spot every year, and how long will they stay brown.

CouesSlayer

I just got back from unit one for the holiday. My cousin who lives up there found and incredible nontypical lion kill shed in unit 27. I took some pictures and will be mailing them to amanda to post. Amanda, could you please email me your mailing address? I am also sending pictures of 3 coues bucks that he got w/ a bow in unit 27, the smallest one scores in the high 90's. The largest I believe he told me netted 113.

His name is Jerry Hathcock and he lives in Eagar. He used to run hounds up there but now he just archery and muzzleloader hunts. He knows more about coues than anyone I have ever known. Every January he grunts and rattles them into bow range. All of the bucks you will see from the pictures I am about to send in were taken w/ a bow.

Treestandman

Is that heaths dad. If it is you are right that man is a great hunter.

Heath has some nice coues bucks and some awsome Elk . They used to have some great walker hounds but I think they sold them all but one.

Yep, thats Heath's dad. I've been out w/ him a few times and he is the most quiet careful and in shape hunter I have ever known. He just took a lion w/ a recurve earlier this year. A nice big Tom.

WSM, there is an area in unit 1 with some trophy coues whitetail. It is on your way to new mexico and probably about 25 miles from the boarder. My cousins wife found a coues shed in the ceadars that would score very high.

Treestandman

Do you know if these deer were taken above, below, or on the rim?

Bigmouth!!! :lol

Guest Ernesto C

You are talking about my best spot. I was thinking it was my secret spot but not any more :rolleyes: o well :D

Ernesto C.

There is some rough country about 15 miles north of clifton. Kind of midway from the rim on down. Lots of Bears, and lots of BIG coues. The only way I know of to hunt it is by treestand, thus not too many hunters in the really thick areas. I shot a 100+ buck off salt there. Also has some muleys come in. I would say in the area I have hunted it is about half and half. Probably a little more whitetail.

It's definitly a diverse area, both in geography and wildlife. I remember the first time I hunted it, I was a very disspaponted. I had gotten used to the southern units and seeing 50-100 deer a day. Not the case here.

I also respect you not wanting to say too much, because I've put in a lot of hard miles in rough country to find the few honeyholes I have. It takes a great deal of more patience to hunt this area. Plus the weather can get down right nasty in december&january compared to down south.

You are right about the weather in Dec/Jan. Don't want to get caught in a blizzard in that area. My father and I were rifle hunting mule deer in unit 1 once and made the mistake of not checking into weather conditions. We got caught in a very bad blizzard. Luckily we had chains for the tires and were able to make it out safely.