Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

How to find the Best Hunting Guide for Success for You! Part One

We get lots of questions on who is the best guide in Arizona. Well, it all depends upon what you are hunting, Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, Big Horn Sheep, Bear, Mountain Lion or Coues Whitetail and where. There is always about 3 guides in the top of each category that you couldn’t go wrong with. We want to give you some things to think about before you make a decision to find one.

Set goals before you go looking. Every time I go hunting I make sure I  have a goal of what I want to do and accomplish. Let’s take an archery elk tag in Unit 8 in Arizona. I set a goal to hunt bulls in the 350+ class for the first week then on the last few days of the hunt if I have not tagged out yet, I am still after a big bull but now open to take the first bull that steps into my arrow range. Now let’s look at a rifle hunt in 22 late. I’d put a goal of taking a nice 6X6 and size. Unless I was willing to hike lots of miles, then I know where there is a few 350+.

Your hunt could be a nightmare or one of the best adventures you have ever had. Ask yourself and your guide these top 10 questions first then before you pick a guide, they all differ in options and opinions from guide to guide.

1) Do you want an old fashion camp,  tents or sleep in hotels. How many in a tent? Bring ear plugs, most men snore if you are sharing!

2) Do you a want a chance at a trophy animal or just go take one.

3) What is on the food list if the guide is in charge. Snacks and liquids too.

4) What kind of weather is expected. Then always pack for 20 degrees warmer and cooler.

5) How many hunters is my guide guiding, just me or more. Who is the person I will be hunting with? The guide or one if his hired hands.

6) Trophy Preparation – Who is going to do what if you get a wall hanger. Meat preparation and how am I getting it home.

7) Transportation – How are you getting there and getting around once you are there?

8) Bathing & hygiene – What are the accommodations?

9) What kind of gear do you need to bring? We will do an article on this later to help you bring all you may need.

10) References – always get a few and call them, you will learn a lot.

I know it sounds simple but almost everyone that I have talked to after a hunt they say about the same thing, I wish I’d had asked a few more questions about this or that.

Success- “What is success to you?”  is what we will look at in Part Two

View the full article