Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

First Mexico Buck

Sorry not all that savy with posting youtube vids on this. Hopefully this URL will work. If not the vids can be seen on High Desert Outfitters blogspot. Thought I would share this. Kind of embarrasing but in the end ended up with a good

buck. Not sure if anyone else had this same problem as me. I rebuilt my 7mm mag custom stock sschnieder barrel. jewell trip etc.

Decided to go with a leupold VRX scope 3-14 x 56 power. I thought that I would get all technical I put on the turrets on the leupold. Windage was also added.

before my hunt was shooting out 60 yards with a good grouping anything that would be lethal on a coues deer. Met JAson Sherwood and headed to Mexico with my pals.

we went beginning of January. Rut was not really happening. None the less was having a blast being in Mexico. First day ended up tagging a Javelina at 300 yards. I was feeing pretty confident in my shooting until.....

Finally had a chance at a good quality buck 90 inch with good tines. I shot 9 times at the Buck. The first 5 I was so far left could not figure out where I was shooting. I spun my windage turret to compensate. Still left. Buck started at 300 yards. He was so confused he starte actually running towards us. final shots were around 200 yards. I was so upset I couldnt hit this thing I was about ready to chuck my gun. I old my buddy to stay on the mountain with Jason and I was going to take off and resight my gun. when I went to resight my rifle I found that my windage turret had made three complete revolutions. I fist shot at 25 yards. wouldnt even hit paper until I turned the windage 360 degrees 3 x. amazing to say the least. Now I was back in the zone. Went back up on the mountain to find my friend shot the buck I missed 9 times.

very nice buck. Went home that night to find that another guy in our group had the same exact problem. He finally shot his buck with someone elses gun. We concluded that while hicking and the gun around our should each step would bump the windage turret and spin it.

So I was very careful the next day to hold the gun and not place the strap around my shoulder. throughout the dayI decided do to fatigue of hiking I would carry the gun on shoulder but then check the turret and if it spun I would zero it again. I could always zero it but since there was no zero stop I could not tell if it had made more than one complete spin. Jason and I finally got on a nice buck. set up with backpack on rock about 150 yards or so. Buck had no clue wew were there and you know the rest of the story. My first shot 4 feet to the left again..

I was so frustrated. I decided this time to just aim 4 feet infront of the buck. second shot was high and spined him but we got him.

It was a great hunt. Had a great time. I decided right away when I got home to purchase a nightforce scope. HAs anyone else had this similar problem with their scope?? Possibly with only leupold. I know they make great scopes. But a word to the wise... beware to put turrets on a scope that might be intended to have one. Especially a windage turret.

Thanks Jason for the help and a great time. Anyone looking for a great hunt in Mexico I would highly recommend him.

VIVA MEXICO

Nice short video, very clear. Congrats, gets me excited for the 2013 fall season!