Sign in to follow this  
matthewdee

Bowhunting the rut

Hey everyone.. Im a new member. Im an AZ native and longtime bowhunter. I have bow hunted for 10 years and taken 5 pigs but only one coues buck. I am decent with glass.. lot of trial and error.. and I can usually can find game.. but many seasons I don't get to loose an arrow at a deer cuz I can't get within bow range. The only buck I've killed with a bow was during the rut from a hand constructed ground blind on a ridge I found that does were using when traveling from bedding area to water.

I know the rut is the time to see bucks cuz they are up on their feet, but I am never able to catch up to them for a decent stalk. So my question for ya'll is when bowhunting the rut for coues deer what tactic do you use? Spot and stalk, ground blind, tree stand, ambush...?

Look fwd to your replies!

its very tough. ive had luck before by glassing them and putting them to bed and then put the stalk on. goodluck

I only spot and stalk. I can sit in a blind. OneShot nailed it, hunt the does. You see a heard of doe, a buck is somewhere near. Seems that if the deer are rutting, they bed later and usually stay down longer. This can give you extra time to put in a stock. Just my .02