Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

National Geographic Aug 2013 pages 64-65

If you don't subscribe to it, the pages show a small enclosure with at least 10 younger lions it. These lions are captive bred on ranches solely to be released on the ranch and killed by a hunter.

I'm an advocate for fair chase hunting. This definition can vary from person to person, but for me it is an animal in the wild (their wild) without an enclosure that would limit the animal from running from me if I spook it. I pondered this to think if I've ever remotely done anything like this and then came up with fishing. Some fish are born elsewhere and then dropped into a lake, but a lake is a normal environment for a fish.

I've also seen a video a very long time ago of a caged big cat that was released to be hunted in an enclosure and the thing had been caged so long, it could hardly run. I was a definite non-hunter then and I did not like what I saw, but even now since I switched over to the hunting side I still feel the same way.

I'm curious if others have any input either way on the subject.

I think you should watch out watch you wish for. I respect your opinion and I would say to continue hunting under your values of fair chase hunting. A lion in my opinion is no different than hogs. You have to be realistic and look at the bigger picture. If in fact you find that you have a enormous amount of support for your opinion from hunters and non-hunters alike then what happens next? Lion hunts on private ranches are banned? Next year the entire state of Texas bans all hunting on private game reserves because the Feds say so.

Although the lion makes a fantastic poster animal to persuade people to your view point, I believe it comes down to liberty and freedom from government regulations. Animals are breed for slaughter all day in every state, every country and this really isn't any different IMO

And for reference, I would not hunt a lion on a private high fence ranch. But, I would love to go back and hog hunt in Texas again someday, high fence or not, either is fine with me.

Baiting is considered "fair chase" in the record books, but is now illegal in the state of Arizona because the bureaucrats didn't like the success it can or can't create.

Lot's of people don't like Lion hunts involving dogs, and I could go on and on.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan canned hunts or caging animals to be hunted. What you describe just sounds inhumane and cruel (I haven't read the article) there are situations however where animals are kept on huge ranches 100k+ or 1 million+ acre ranches that are hunted, not exactly free range but most hunters wouldn't have a chance to harvest these animals otherwise. And the heards are strong, healthy, and will be here for future generations.

Ask yourself this. Do ethics or beliefs change with species? I consider myself an ethical fair chase hunter. My cousin invited me pheasant hunting last year. Turns out it was a pheasant farm. When you book the hunt they ask how many pheasants you want to buy. We bought 14. Early the morning of your hunt they place the pheasants in the field. They wanted a bird dog so we hired one. We had a blast! I haven't hunted/shot pheasants in 25 yrs. Whether its fish, pheasants farms in Utah, deer farms in Texas, elk farms in Colorado or lion farms in whatever country, does that one species stir emotions that others don't? Here's a picture of a bull on a farm in CO. Last year sheds scored 486". The farm owner said, hey if you don't fill your tag you can come back and you shoot him for $10,000. My first thought was NO WAY in heck would I shoot a fenced elk!!! I'm "better" than that! My second though was dang that's a cheap price for a 486" bull! One month later I was shooting farm pheasants. Hypocritical??

post-5179-0-56696000-1374352889_thumb.jpg

• Like 1