Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Scouting Trip Unit 7

We headed out to Unit 7 this weekend to do some scouting for the November mule deer hunt and had a great time. I ended up seeing several bull elk (a couple really good ones), a ton of doe, and 1 little forky. I glassed up this nice bull at 1.05 miles fully bedded in some thick grass/bushes. He stayed in that position for over an hour before getting up and moving out of the rain.

post-5901-0-97442100-1375113906_thumb.jpg

Then later on I glassed up these doe at .8 miles.

post-5901-0-15822600-1375113955_thumb.jpg

All in all it was a good trip. I was able to find a couple spots that would be good options come November, and rule out a couple other areas that I thought might work. Planning a trip back up in a couple weeks, and hope to find some bucks that time around. We will see.

always a good time in the hills,and glassing up game ... keep looking in those "Recent" burns ? Plenty of new deer forage with recent monsoons.When in 7W,always see plenty of deer in/around Hobble Mtns,just a thought.Myself off to unit 1,this next week to look around and see how elk are doing for end of Sept. rifle hunt ... Good Luck in 7 come Nov.

Great time for sure. Any excuse to get out in the hills and glass. Thanks for the tips, I was actually planning on getting into the hobbles next time I'm out there. Just ran out of time this weekend.

Good luck on your unit 1 hunt. That's going to be a blast I'm sure!

all from 7. found 6 deer sheds the last 2 wkends in a few hours of hiking. some decent bucks if your willing toput some time in. i remember you got a fork buck 3 years back.

post-1391-0-25615700-1375153615_thumb.jpg

Ya I got a small fork 3 years ago, It was mostly luck. I'm hoping to use a little more skill and preparation this time around, hence the early scouting. Heading back out in a couple weeks. We will see how it goes.