Sign in to follow this  
cmc

Backpack hunting.

My thinking is I hike to some pretty high elevation from the truck every morning. If I can get up there and stay up there I don't run myself into the ground as fast. I'm not in the shape I was 10 years ago where I could do the 8 miles a day in rugged terrain for 6 days straight, drink beer every night by the gallon and get no sleep or water what so ever. Boy have times changed.... Now I'm good for maybe a day or two of nasty hiking and my night time snack is milk, cookies and Advil. :P

I'm trying to eliminate the wasted hiking in and out each morning and night.

I just picked up a Kelty Teton 2 tent and an MSR Pocket Rocket. Now all I need is to make a trip. I'm hoping my buddies deer hunt we give one night a try for packing in. I might sleep outside my trailer one night on my hunt to test all my gear out in the colder country than my back yard.

cmc

Your right about that one DesertBull. Roads and people are popping up everywhere. It's kind of hard to think of places that would require a long back pack trip in AZ. Maybe a day or so in the places I hunt. CMC, hopefully you can a trip in on your buddies hunt. Good idea to test all the gear out.

haha that's a great pic red rabbit. remember this guys, the more you know the less you carry. i agree there are a lot of great things out there on the market, especially for backpacking...msr stoves, water filtration devices, super small tents, etc, etc. but, i think the best thing you can take with you is knowledge. i've spent a year in the AF in the Survival (SERE) program and read every survival/wilderness/native american literature i can find. by far i am no expert but i pack very little in a 3 day pack...no tent, a sleeping bag, food, water and cordage. i usually make natural shelters without raping the environment, using deadfalls and maybe a small tarp. i highly recommend any books by tom brown jr. for survival skills, especially tracking. he was trained by an old Chiricuaua Apache Scout and he is very reputable and has an excellent survival school in New Jersey. let me know if you have any specific questions.

let me know if you have any specific questions.

OK, where are the deer?