Sign in to follow this  
Hyperwrx

Minaska Outdoors AR-2 First Blood

Got a new Minaska Outdoors AR-2 a few weeks ago for this upcoming season. I had Todd Borland dip the entire caller in King's Desert Shadow. I also had them omit the smaller 2nd speaker built into the back of the caller as I had a single Beston RT002A ribbon tweeter I wanted to install in its place. Did the install and connected the extra pair of supplied leads and the tweeter fired up and sounded great. Loaded up the caller with a mess of gray fox vocalizations and Madl Lips and headed over to Unit 27 near the New Mexico boarder to do some scouting for deer for an upcoming mulie hunt. There wasn't time for a lot of predator calling but I did steal away one afternoon to call small rocky bluff I had driven by a few times. It began drizzling on me but I decided to call any ways. Only had by shotgun so I found a small clearing at the base of the hill and began with a gray fox distress sound. Within 30 seconds I had a fox running down the hill toward the caller. It approached the caller and stopped about 15' shy of the caller and about 20 yards from me. I shot it and it began screaming. I cut the caller and took advantage of it's own distress call. Not more than 2 minutes went by and I had a bigger fox approaching the stand from the right. It ran up to the 1st fox and ran in circles around it and hackled up and bothered. I shot that one. Foxes were both in good shape but fur was still a thinned out summer coat. Weather there was 80 in day time, 60 at night with scattered showers on and off in the afternoon and evening.

Caller performed great for the few minutes I used it. Volume was very loud and crystal clear. New Bulldog board with the 40 watt amplifier was at least as loud as my CS-24B.

DSCN1283_zps193ee07e.jpg

DSCN1284_zps37932fb9.jpg

Got around to taking a few pictures of the Beston RT002A ribbon tweeter installed in place of the mylar cone tweeter Minaska AR-2 comes with. Had to dremel a square hole in the back panel and drill holes for the nuts/washers/and bolts to hold it on. I push the button and turn off the TOA horn and play high pitch cottontail distress and man does that speaker sing. Madl lips sounds crystal clear and very bright. I need to put on a high pass crossover so I don't damage the tweeter with frequencies lower than 2500 Hz. Also need to purchase some rubber stoppers to put on the back panel on the 4 corners where the new tweeter is so it can sit flat down (TOA horn facing up) and play.

Specs on the RT002A

Power handling: 40 watts RMS/80 watts max • Impedance: 6 ohms • Re: 5.8 ohms • Frequency range: 2,000-40,000 Hz • SPL: 92dB 1W/1m • Minimum recommended crossover frequency: 2,500 Hz • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 4" x 4", Cutout diameter: 3.7" x 3.7", Depth: 1.32".

1_zps87818273.jpg

2_zps4eaaf0ab.jpg

Nice! I can't wait to get out this year!

Looks like a nice caller! I have killed more animals with my minaska callers than all of my other ones combined. One question though, has their customer service gotten any better? I really like what I have read and seen of their new callers but I am hesitant to order one.

Best bet is to call and speak to Todd or Steve personally. Make sure they have what you want in stock and ready to ship. They are easy to get a hold of now that they have moved to the new facility.