Sign in to follow this  
3Coues3

Does Blackhorn209 go bad?

I bought my first container about 3 years ago. I was drawn for this years Elk hunt and started shooting it again in preparation with no ill effects. I actually bought a new container and afraid to use it as I am afraid it will not shoot as well as my old batch. Blackhorn is not hyrdroscopic like pyrodex or even 777 so it should be fine based on my personal experience.

Kelney thanks for the info. and personal experience with it. I searched the web and couldn't really find much saying if it could go bad or not.

All substitutes, if cared for properly will retain performance. The obvious things to try to eliminate are moisture and large temperature swings. The less obvious thing would be bumpy rides and rough handling that physically break down the granules of powder into finer particles. That can actually be a bit dangerous as far as burn rate so pay attention to the proper granule size and try to not load with any "dust" from the bottom of the can...

I have had been using BH209 for several years now and never had any issues with it's age. I have also chronographed my shots and have not had any loss in F.P.S. BH209 is by far the best B.P. substitute available to date. Just my .02