Sign in to follow this  
Coues22

Need help with late 6a tag

I've been visiting the forum for a while so I thought I should start posting. I drew the late 6a tag. I live in Flagstaff but don't have much experience with coues in the unit. I've killed two really nice bucks in 27 and 36c but I think this tag could be my chance at a buck of a lifetime. I have been scouting a half dozen times with moderate success. For you 6a guys, are there any areas that should be avoided during the hunt? Any areas that traditonally get hit hard during the early hunt? I've been told to check out the same areas by a few guys but I get a little suspicious when I hear about the same area from a few people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I've been visiting the forum for a while so I thought I should start posting. I drew the late 6a tag. I live in Flagstaff but don't have much experience with coues in the unit. I've killed two really nice bucks in 27 and 36c but I think this tag could be my chance at a buck of a lifetime. I have been scouting a half dozen times with moderate success. For you 6a guys, are there any areas that should be avoided during the hunt? Any areas that traditonally get hit hard during the early hunt? I've been told to check out the same areas by a few guys but I get a little suspicious when I hear about the same area from a few people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Welcome to the site...look for the biggest, nastiest canyons throughout the unit & glass the heck out of them, the bucks are there.... Good luck

6A sucks. It has some very big bucks but so does every unit. Do lots and lots of scouting!!!! There are very few Coues deer and fewer bucks. The country is not easy to glass and getting a good shot at what you glass up is even harder. The Mogollon rim and the big canyons in the lower Southeast quarter of the unit will produce the best glassing and the most deer. Keep an eye out for the new heard of bighorn sheep! And don't rule out Oak Creek.

And speak up and tell us your name fellow Flagstaffer! :ph34r:

Lance

I had the 6a tag several years ago and found it to be a difficult hunt. Did lotsa scouting. The edge of Fossil Creek by the power lines was crowded, as was the top of Wet Beaver by Casner. I found what Lance said to be true.

Doug~RR