Based on the research I've done that is not the original barrel, it was made with a 26" barrel. I can only surmise that Pete and your Father-in-Law made that barrel.

I need to talk to my other half, I will get back to you. I am interested, I need to run some numbers this would be a good Christmas gift for myself.

Stephen

The barrel was made by Pete Pride, my father in law had a lot of the tooling used to make the barrel, quite a process, I did not find them in his "stuff" when he passed away, but we walked away from an overseas cargo unit (40') full of stuff. I do have all the hand tools used to fit the gun to the stock and do all the tooling for the finish.

I was wrong on where Pete Pride was located, it was in Portland, Oregon.

Curt

That is a 1917 Enfield. They are a WW 1 era military action that was built by Winchester, Remington and Eddystone. The Remington actions are the most desirable then Winchester. The Eddystone's are prone to be brittle and shouldn't be used for a custom rifle. That one looks to be in really rough shape and appears to be missing lots of parts including the safety, bolt stop, ejector, trigger, magazine box and bottom metal. I have built a couple of rifles out of Enfield actions. They are a big heavy action and is best suited for large magnum calibers like a 375 H & H or 416 Remington.

The Remington actions are the most desirable then Winchester.

Several gunsmiths that I talked to said the Winchester was the one you would want.

The problem with the Winchester's are that they have a big "duck pond" over the rear bridge. The Remington's don't have this.