Sign in to follow this  
almost

re-stringing my bow???

Looking at ordering some new strings and cables for my Mathews creed within the next couple months. Probably going to go with winners choice but not 100% yet. I have a bow press and have been successful at tuning my bow ( yoke tune, ata, idler lean etc ) but am wondering what I'll be getting into with a brand new set. Obviously tying the d-loop, serving my peep and setting up my drop away but what else? Does it come with the speed mods? Do I have to know a specific # of twists for the cable and string or do I just twist until bow is at spec? Should I clean all the old wax off the idler/can and use a graphite type lubricant there? Just nervous about jumping into this as I hate giving my local shop buisness... Thanks in advance, Cody

They should come somewhat twisted to spec. But you most certainly should verify against your tune specs.

I've had a lot of aftermarket strings in 25 years of archery and never been happier than when I bite the bullet and get winners choice.

They will not come with speed buttons, which is ok, you should find the ideal location and amount through thorough experimentation, not factory specs.

I would clean your cam tracks and I use "triflo" teflon lube, but I would use what is recommended by the manufacturer. Most cams these days have sealed ball bearings, but i am treating where the bearing rides on the axle.

With winners choice strings, I usually put the set on and find and approx nock point, install my loop and approx rest speed and shoot the bow 100-300 times to allow the strings and cable to settle if they need to. Then get into the nitty gritty of axle to axle, brace height, cam lean, poundage, and rest timing. Then install peep and finish fine tuning with nock/rest location with paper and walk back tuning.

When you get the bow shooting laser beams and you are happy, jot down all pertinent info on a 3"x5" card and keep it in your bow case. This will allow you to restore your bow to your happy specs if something does move or change such as if you do get a weird stretch or accidentally cut your string with a broadhead or other catastrophe.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice! Good info to work off of, one thing that I haven't researched or am familiar with is the speed mods. Is there only purpose for speed? I don't have access to a chrono so that might be an issue. Also who sells the weights and shrink wrap for them?

I just use brass nock sets without shrink tubing. There will be plenty of served section for this. How ever one could place them, test them, then press the bow and put shrink tube on them. You can get shrink tube any where that sells electrical supplies like ACE, home depot etc. I don't see a need for it though. In my experience they only boost speed and only by a few fps.

G5 also makes a nice product called "speed studs" that adjust easily and are served into place when set.

Keep in mind you will probably lose some speed with a quality aftermarket string. This is due to the manufacturers using a lean string with a lower strand count to boost speed specs. I don't worry about it though, I'd rather have stability over speed any day.

I don't love most archery shops either, but you can usually buy some chrono time if you feel you need the speed mods and want to do the testing. Sometimes they will have them at local shoots as well. Got any buddies w/ a chrono?