themax_ak

skeleton canyon update?

I'm new to the forum, but not to bowhunting (46 years). I hunted skeleton canyon for several years before they put the gate across the road. I'm trying to get access from Snure Ranch, but haven't been able to get the telephone number yet. I heard it might have been bought by a Derrick Garland, but no confirmation yet. I am retired now, so can finally hunt the whole month of Janurary. If I can't get access to Skeleton Canyon, I'm looking for a new spot to hunt. I have a motorhome, pickup and trailbike to get me to where I can hunt. I also have a cabin and boat on the Kenai River in Alaska and will trade out some King fishing time for some good info on where to hunt coues or mulies. I'm hunting alone, so would also welcome company. I can still get up the hills pretty good, but it is always nice to have someone know where you are.

I was told by game and fish that you could still access skeleton canyon but you have to pay the rancher a $125 trespass fee. I can't remember the guys name but his job is to work with ranchers to gain access to public lands that are landlocked by private land. He works out of the Tucson office I would suggest calling him he maybe able to give you more direction.

There is a new game warden for the area that might be able to help you, her name is Lainie Ozment and can be emailed at lozment@azgfd.gov. She should at least be able to tell you where to start.

This has been an anticpated access issue for years since there is no right of way from the end of the county road to the forest boundary. The peloncillos is an access issue nightmare. There are not many places to get in with a motor home in the Peloncillos except geronmo trail. You might want to consider another location such as the Chiracauhuas and Pedegrosas.

This has been an anticpated access issue for years since there is no right of way from the end of the county road to the forest boundary. The peloncillos is an access issue nightmare. There are not many places to get in with a motor home in the Peloncillos except geronmo trail. You might want to consider another location such as the Chiracauhuas and Pedegrosas.

I took an 18 ft toyota motorhome through the Pinery Canyon from Portal to the Chiricahua Natl Monument once and as I remember it, it was pretty skinny at times. Think I can get my 40 ft Rambler through there? Anywhere else in the Chiricahuas I can get in to? Where are the Pedegrosas?

He is the Access Coordinator for Region Five. His name is Matt Walton, and works in the Tucson Branch G&F. He will be the most up to date on the situation.