Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

.270wsm vs. .300wm

The BC of 30 cals is superior to the .270's. But if I was looking at other cals the .264 win mag would make the list as a compromise.

I have a Browning A-bolt 270 WSM that shoots great with factory ammo. I killed my mt. lion with it on a Dec Unit 27 hunt. I also have a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM that shoots lights out with factory ammo. I carry the 300 on most hunts because it is so light and it groups like crazy. Things dies from it. I shoot eveything with 180gr Winchester Ballistic Sliver Tips. I keep the 270 because my son wants it.

I'm 100% certain good ol' Jack O'Connor would have traded his trusty and favorite .270 for the .270 wsm and called it the new best round for North American big game (minus Moose and the big Bears) as well as African plains animals. It really is that good. I have never had problems cycling rounds and every animal I've shot with it (yotes, deer, elk) have dropped immediately, My current best round is a 140 gn (.496 bc) in front of magpro and fed 215's out of win brass. Shoots a tight 4 leaf clover print at 100 at close to 3200 fps. That round has proven itself to 1000 yards. I guess you could say I'm fond of it. ;)

Sonof12, Don't know for sure what Jack would say about the .270 WSM, but on March 2nd, of this year I was shooting a match at the Tucson Rifle Club with Eldon Buck Buckner, and since I had just got a .270 WSM, I ask Buck what would Jack think of them, his reply was he would have thought them redundant.

Redundant? I have both rifles and shooting what I feel is the ideal weighted bullet (140 gn), I could only safely muster up about 2950 fps out of the original 270. Now, with the wsm I can push the same bullet safely at 3150 fps. In shooting I don't think a +200 fps gain can be shrugged off as redundancy. But hey, to each their own. Happy shooting!