Is it best to glass from up high on a peak or from down low on the bottom?

I do it both ways. The advantage to glassing down is you can come down on them and they will not notice you as easy. they set them selfs to watch the hill coming up to them in most situations. But if you are a good shot then it would work for you going from eather way. Plus I would rather start up high in the morning when are fresh. If you are lucky you will just have to haul your deer down hill and not up hill.

Yes to both.

Depends on time of day and conditions. Always consider the thermal air movements. Morning as the sun warms up the hillsides the air rises, so being higher is better when possible. I usually like to find a couple spots and slowly work them through the day to make use of the prevailing winds, sunshine / shade and visability.

Different terrain will require differenct methods, so good luck.

25-06

I think most people here would say that getting up high early on is the most common method used. You do have many advantages when you are high. Like Az. guide says you are fresher and it is somewhat easier to make the climb in the dark when it is nice and cool. I have found that the most important thing that I can do is to not overlook anywhere. I am a glassing fanatic. I have hunted with my family members and many friends and usually I will spend much more time actually behind the bino`s than anybody with me. To me the more time you glass the better chance you have of seeing a good buck. I have spotted deer in some very unusual places, Probably because I don`t try to rule out certain areas that don`t look really good. High, low, they both work! If you oversleep and feel upset that you have missed out don`t sweat it . Set up on the first glassing spot and get to glassing. You may catch a buck that has altered his habits due to hunter pressure or maybe you just figured out that he was low all along. If you keep working up high during mid day you may be in the perfect spot when it gets dark. If you score late, gut him , tag him, and hang him up in a tree with your t shirt . Now you are going down hill with a mag light instead of uphill and thats even better I think. Go back to camp get some rest and pack him out the next day! the main thing is to develop your own style that works for you! Good Luck Coues Addict ;)

Thanks everyone for sharing your great knowledge with me.I cant hardly wait to start scouting. Terry Lambeth

Check out DuWayne Adams literature on glassing available on this website. I went to a seminar of his back in the early 90's and still use his methods.

This usually works for me, (others may have some opinion), but when I find a good spot to start glassing, I always start my session by looking at the habitat closest to me, then expanding my areas. That way, if I spooked any deer setting up, they hopefully will still be within rifle range (or a closer stalk). I've also found several nice bucks running the very tops of ridges, and actually "skylining" themselves, early in the AM and late in the PM.

That's good Allen. Once in unit 32 my brother and I had just made a mid-day move to a new vantage point. As we settled in, my first inclination was to start glassing out yonder to where it 'looked good'. Then I caught myself and forced myself to start glassing close first. This was one of those magical times when as soon as you put your glasses up - there's a deer in 'em! Actually 2 bucks, bedded in some oaks 200 yds directly downhill from us. We took the larger buck.

Mike