Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

Laura gets her first javelina!

This weekend myself and good friend Eric Hawkinberry from Glendale, had the pleasure of taking out an awesome young lady, Laura Borden of Golden Valley, AZ on her first ever javelina hunt.

Laura had drawn a Youth only tag in Unit 18B.

Laura would be using my Rock River Arms Fred Eichler Series AR-15 as she absolutely loves to shoot this rifle and is deadly accurate with it! She was using Fiocchi Match factory ammo loaded with Sierra 77 grain HPBT bullets.

post-11017-0-07120800-1422253832_thumb.jpg

The top group was shot by her brother Ryan. Laura's group is the three shots that are touching!

On Saturday, Eric glassed up small herd of pigs. Eric and Laura eased into 40 yards of the group of 6 pigs that were feeding on a steep hillside.

Laura settled in on the largest pig in the group and touched off the AR.

I was watching and filming the entire event from 700 yards away through the Swaro spotting scope.

Laura was shooting off the Bog Pod as the grass and brush was high, and made a perfect heart/lung shot.

The boar weighed 37 lbs. 14 oz (field dressed) and currently the leader of our BIG PIG contest.

post-11017-0-04070600-1422254297_thumb.jpg

We are all really proud of this young lady who has a passion for hunting and fishing like you can't believe.

She also got a left over Youth javelina tag in Unit 16A, so we went over there today, but didn't see any pigs.

Plans are to go out next Friday and spend the weekend trying to locate her another pig.

A fun time was had by all, can't wait to go out again! Hunting with young hunters is an experience you'll never forget!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Nice! Lovn' the AR. Probably not a better pig gun. My middle son connected this weekend with my AR. Pix on another thread. Congrats to Laura!