huntingfool

Question for you Trappers

How long does fur typically stay prime, namely for cats and fox in Northern AZ? I found another cat last night and was unable to kill it but it is excellent cat country. That's the third cat I've seen this year, was considering trying to concentrate on areas I have seen cats or expect cats for the rest of the year.

I know I can shoot them thru March but I remember thinking the fur starts to shed before that. I hate to shoot them when they aren't prime. Not because I have any love of cats but it seems a shame to waste the fur. Coyotes die regardless of fur condition.

Also, when do they start to get good in the fall? Mid-November?

Thanks fellers.

Cats and fox are good till the end of trapping season.Coyotes are a different story.They usually turn bad by the 2nd week in feb.

Thanks. Looks like trapping season runs Nov 1- Feb 28... that coincide pretty well with prime fur? A buddy shot a fox last year on October 5th and it wasn't there yet, still pretty thin. Up in the high country.

The trapping season in my opinion starts to early.I start taking fur bearers around thanksgiving.A lot depends on the weather and the elevation.

cats and fox will be prime about the 3rd week of nov and be good tell the first of march coyotes wont be prime tell December when the hide is white not blue they are prime