Sign in to follow this  
Dodger

Elevation

I drew a unit that I have never hunted coues in before, but I have hunted mule deer there. Therefore, I have been going over topo maps and have been looking at the elevation of the areas that I'm considering. I'm trying to stay out of the upper elevations (over 6,000') since they tend to be too thick to glass. One of the things that I have noticed is that where we have hunted mule deer in this unit is about 4500-5000' and we only saw mule deer. When I hunted 32 the last three seasons I hunted at 4500 and saw mostly coues (I think 3 total mule deer in the 3 years) and in 33 I have hunted at 3300' and only seen coues deer. Why do you think coues deer are found lower in some units and higher in other units even when the units are located right next to one another?

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this relationship during their years of deer hunting, I'm just trying to use this information in deciding where to start my scouting trips this month.

Dodger

Why don`t you send me an email and I will see if I can give you a starting point. Please let me know which area you drew. Was it 36c? good luck Coues addict