Sign in to follow this  
Manamal

Bradshaw Coues?

quimby, how far south do whitetail go? all the way to cape horn? i'd never given much thought south american deer. but all the sudden i'm sorta interested. how far south do muleys go? i've never heard of them being farther down than west-central mexico. is there another subspecies of muley, i wonder? sorta like the blacktail and sitka, maybe? i watched a deal on PBS awhile back about the "Sky Islands" of southern Az. and northern mexico. it explained a lot about why things are the way they are. real interesting stuff about how different mt. ranges in the southwest have slightly different wildlife, especially ampibians, fish, rodents, and birds with only short flight capability. i've always felt that the different ranges had sorta their own unique breed of coues, and the tv show explained why maybe that is right. i'm thinking maybe the bradshaws are about the furthest east that coues go, for whatever reason, and they are always gonna be in short supply, just because. Lark.

quimby, how far south do whitetail go? all the way to cape horn? i'd never given much thought south american deer. but all the sudden i'm sorta interested. how far south do muleys go? i've never heard of them being farther down than west-central mexico. is there another subspecies of muley, i wonder? sorta like the blacktail and sitka, maybe? i watched a deal on PBS awhile back about the "Sky Islands" of southern Az. and northern mexico. it explained a lot about why things are the way they are. real interesting stuff about how different mt. ranges in the southwest have slightly different wildlife, especially ampibians, fish, rodents, and birds with only short flight capability. i've always felt that the different ranges had sorta their own unique breed of coues, and the tv show explained why maybe that is right. i'm thinking maybe the bradshaws are about the furthest east that coues go, for whatever reason, and they are always gonna be in short supply, just because. Lark.

.270:

Whitetailed deer are found from southern Canada all the way to the middle of South America, including Columbia, Venezuela, Guayana, Surinam, French Guiana, Brazil, Equador, Peru, and two islands off Venezuela. There are 38 subspecies (with eight of them in South America). The largest whitetails are those in northeastern U.S. (and southeastern Canada). Despite what you've heard about Florida's Key deer, the smallest whitetails are found in Central America. Some seldom weigh more than 40-45 pounds.

Scientists recognize just nine subspecies of mule deer (including the Columbia black-tailed deer and the Sitka black-tailed deer). Their range extends from southwestern Canada to northern Mexico, including all of Baja California, plus northern Sonora, northwestern Coalhila, and northern Chihuaha. There are separate subspecies of mule deer on Mexico's Tiburon and Cedros islands.

Incidentally, many Central American and South American whitetails share their habitat with a nifty little deer called the brocket. There are four separate species and several subspecies of brocket deer. All have only spikes. Depending upon the species, they can weigh as little as 30 pounds or as much as 70 pounds.

I've taken five subspecies of whitetails and four subspecies of mule deer in the U.S. and Mexico, but have never hunted in South America nor have I had the opportunity to hunt a brocket deer. I'd like to do something about both of these shortcomings before I get too darned old.

bill quimby

Edited by billrquimby