Sign in to follow this  
mason a

drew a 30A dec. tag NEED HELP

I have hunted unit 30a (dos cabezas) area for years ,with good success in the october hunt, I have never hunted it in the rut. couple of questions 1.what should i do different,if anything?I have heard they come out of the nasty stuff and chase does more in the open & lower terrain. Any idea to help me bag that 100" plus buck

Climb a high Knob and glass. Even if the deer are not in the rut the cool temperatures make them more active. The same area you were successful in october would be an excellent place to start. All the october deer have a dad close by.

Bob

Hunt it in the same places and just like you always do if you had success that way. The December hunts are not all they are cracked up to be. The deer in 30 won't usually hit good rut untill mid January anyway. Even if they were rutting just sitting and glassing with a tripod from good vantage points in the same areas you usually hunt is still the best way. If you want a 100" buck then go scout your brains out and find one before season. Right now during the summer while they are in the velvet is a good time to find one. In that unit he will be in the same general area during Oct, Nov and Dec. He might be feeding on different things on different slopes but he will be there somewhere.

Lance

We have land down there and I've taken a lot of bucks off that mountain. In all, my family probably has taken close to 30 combined, so I know it well. I've had the Dec. tag twice and its tougher than you think. Let's just say that I won't be applying there as my second choice till things turn around, if ever. The rut was almost unnoticeable until the last couple days of the hunt. I'd take Lance's suggestions and scout my butt off, I'd locate at least two shooter bucks before the hunt. Also I wouldn't get hung up on a number like 100 inches since they are seemingly more rare nowadays in that range. I passed up a lot of good bucks trying for that same mark, and should have shot the first nice 85-90 incher I had a chance at. Just my opinion, I know your hopes are high, but hunt where the does are and you'll eventually find the best buck in the area, just he isn't always a 100 incher.

Buy a lion tag though, I've seen one taken or heard of one nearly missed almost every year during the rifle hunts for the last 5 years.